1986 Euro 911 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 02:46 PM
Zyvek
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1986 Euro 911 upgrades

Howdy!

I have an '86 911 Euro, that was brought over from Argentina the previous owner. ( I have DOT and EPA paperwork from the importer).

According to the previous owner this car had a RUF conversion done on the suspension (lowered and fitted with nice 17" RUF wheels, I'm not sure what else a RUF suspension conversion entails, since the place that did the RUF stuff is no longer in business... Funny thing is that
my local dealer once employed the mechanic that did the upgrade...

Anyway... I have not driving the car much in the last few year, since it took a backseat to my motorcycle. :-) Currently the car has just under
89K miles and runs just fine, less than 700 miles in a new clutch (with a aluminum pressure plate, but not a lightened flywheel - I was told it
would wear too quickly)

As far as I know the engine is completely stock, as it came equipped for ROW and not USA. From what I've been able to tell though basic
research (web, Excellence magazine and Bruce Anderson's book) an '86 Euro Carrera does 0-100kph / 0-60mph in 6.1 seconds (Excellence Nov
1999). I think the US version has 217hp vs. 230 for the Euro version. [I could be wrong]

All that stuff said, I'm interested in what kind of upgrades everyone would recommend.

I'm under the (mis?) conception that since the exhaust has no cat that it's already pretty free flowing.. (I assume this is where the largest
gain in HP over the US version is) I've been thinking about about upgrading the MAF. Either the Autothority (is this still available, it
doesn't seem to be on their website) or the Huntley Racing. The one from Huntley seems to good to be true. Any have any experience with
Huntley? (http://www.huntleyracing.com/massairflow.htm)

MAF not worth the price? Chips and and a cone filter?

I'm interested in any feedback or suggestions anyone might have to improve my 0-60 times. I can turn a wrench, but I think it's pretty
obvious I'm not a engineer by any means. (on that note how has putting larger wheels affected the stock performance of this car? I do understand that lowering the car reduces squat and helps to launch a car faster. Or so I am told ;-)

Curious to hear other upgrades people have done to their 3.2 911's. Looking for a fun project without doing anything internal/dropping the
engine/etc. Unless it's really worth the effort!

Thanks for any words of wisdom, sorry if I come off sounding really dumb!

-Z
Old 09-16-2002, 03:51 PM
Zyvek
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Opps, I've reposted this in the Performance Modifcations forum:

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000277" target="_blank">Moved Post</a>

Quick Reply: 1986 Euro 911 upgrades