Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Classic Antique Car Insurance Savings

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005 | 02:55 PM
redidrum
Pro

Question Classic Antique Car Insurance Savings

I've heard from PCA members about how we can save on our insurance rates by specifying our cars as "Classic/ Antique cars". My American Family agent agrees and is willing to help out. Could save a lot of cash. The only restriction for me is that I can't drive the car to work, which I never do anyway. Jet A Jet Fuel doesn't help out my paint. I work at IND Airport.

Does anyone know of a good place to get an appraisal? Indianapolis area?

Thanks,

Ron
Old 07-15-2005 | 03:22 PM
SandyI
Racer

Be careful insuring your car if you're daily driving it. I was insuring my car through Haggerty until I realized the variety of limitations, not just on the amount of mileage, but how they really did expect me to only drive the car only on the weekends. I'm putting on about 7,000 miles annually and insuring through State Farm.
Old 07-15-2005 | 05:18 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

I go through Haggerty, but I do only drive the car on weekends. I told them on my application that I'd drive it to work occassionally... they called to ask what "occassionally" meant and I replied less than 6 times per year. I only drive it if the weather's very nice, no rain, and not too hot, so that's about right.

The price was just under $300 a year for $15k stated value vs. around $1200 with Allstate with no stated value (just blue book).

It really depends on how you use your car. If you're going to drive the heck out of it, I'd go with more traditional insurance, but if it's going to be a weekend only car, the classic insurance may be the way to go.
Old 07-15-2005 | 05:24 PM
redidrum
Pro

Sandy and Patrick,

I'm only driving the car weekends and never to work. I drive the 4Runner with kids and to work. Too many clowns where I work.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 07-16-2005 | 10:38 AM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is a bit of a catch 22. If you want to drive your car when and where you choose, you have to go with 'traditinoal' insurance, pay a great deal of money, only to find that they will give you $5,000 for the total loss of an $18,000 car. OTH, go with a vintage stated value carrier and you have to ask "dad" if you can use the car, but you get what it is worth in the event of a total loss.

Insurance must be administered by Lawyers. (with apologies to those lurking here)
Old 07-16-2005 | 03:11 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

I've been using JC Taylor on my 76 911 Targa.It costs $106/yr for a agreed value of 10k.At that price I'm limited to 2500k a yr and the car needs to be 25yrs or older but they do have different plans.I've always wondered how they would be if a filed a claim.About 4 yrs ago I had a 75 that had a freak fire the first day I had it on the road.They totaled the car and gave me the agreed value without any problems.Also unlike traditional insurance companies they insured my present Porsche without raising the payment.

Quick Reply: Classic Antique Car Insurance Savings