Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Strange oil cap question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 12:14 PM
lostinatl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange oil cap question

Strange oil cap question, 84 911. My car used to do the obligatory stuttering when the oil cap was removed (to check oil) and from this forum was informed that was normal. Now that does not happen. Why. Is there a problem if it does not do that?
Thanks for the help.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:27 PM
Julia
Instructor

I never heard of that. My 1980 does not stutter when I check the oil. I would be curious to know why that should be normal??
Old 07-13-2005, 11:22 PM
lostinatl
Instructor

I was told the bad running was normal, when you took the cap off, yours has never done this?
Old 07-14-2005, 12:20 AM
lewis9113.2
Instructor

The revs should drop somewhat and then come back to normal after a few seconds. Taking the cap off breaks the vacuum.

As this is a new 'fault' you may now have a leak in the vacuum so check the breather hoses for a start, replace any looking perished and also check the copper and rubber pipe joins which is mounted on top of the engine and just behind to the left of the air mass meter. Also re torque the inlet manifold hex head bolts.

For general maintainence you might want to clean the idle stabilizer valve too (the 3 way valve right in front of the air inlet splitter).

I recently went through the same issues.......
Old 07-14-2005, 12:49 AM
Julia
Instructor

I've never noticed anything significant to tell a difference. Now I will have to really listen next time. Always sounded the same to me.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:16 AM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Cool

Removing the oil cap from my SC always causes the motor to drop revs (slightly) and run a little "rough". Replacing the cap returns the motor to normal. My Stuttgart-trained race mechanic told me this was normal the very first time we ever checked the oil. It has always done so when I check the oil...I'll check with my mechanic and repost his response.
Julia--on my SC it is very noticable. Go figure (love your car, BTW).
Regards, Doug
Old 07-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Julia
Instructor

Thanks Doug, I love it too! I'm prepping for the concours this Sunday in Carmel, CA. Just finished using P21S Concours Look Carnuba Wax, wow, great stuff. I've been a Rejex user and wanted to try the wax instead. I think I like it better. I still like Rejex, but I think this does give it a deeper look.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:52 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Cool

Good luck at the Concours! I bet it is a beautiful location to show off cars after much hard work. Not to hijack this thread, but have you tried Optimum over your final wax? It sprays on/wipes off and acts as a final sealer--adds depth and color. Anthony O., the "master detailer" on this site recommends it and I love it. Check his threads in the "Concours" section.
Regards, Doug
Old 07-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Julia
Instructor

I have read some of his threads. I'd love some person to person lessons! I know he uses a polish by Optimum, but I didn't know they had a detail spray. I'll have to take a look at the web site. I got 1st place in my last concours in my division- 198.25 points out of 200. I fixed those deductions, but they always find something!!
Old 07-14-2005, 08:06 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Cool

Amazing point totals! I'm glad for you, because I know it is a lot of work! The Optimum is not a detail spray--the sealer goes on in spray form. Make sure to do small sections and wipe off immediately after spraying on--takes a little work, but definitely worth it! Here are 2 pics of my '86 944 after using Optimum
(factory original paint).
Attached Images   
Old 07-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Julia
Instructor

WOW, that is beautiful!! I guess that stuff goes on the list. I went through over 250 Q-Tips on my car. It was a ton of work, but the results make it worth it. Now, it's not as bad, although I find things I didn't catch the first time (thank goodness the judges didn't either).
Old 07-15-2005, 12:40 AM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Are we fanatics or what (especially you)! I know you'll win your class for we SC people! Here's a pic of my 944 daily driver (over 200k on the clock) for inspiration--clay-barred it, Meguiers Polish, Meguiers Carnauba Wax, Optimum. Have fun this weekend!
Regards, Doug
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2005, 12:48 AM
Julia
Instructor

I know what you mean, as I'm sweating away with over 100 degree temps doing the interior. I started at 6:00 am this morning so I could do polish and wax before the temp went up. By noon today it was 94 already. I used Griot's clay, Mequires Color X (have the polish also) and then the P21S wax.

Your cars look great. How did you end up with 2 '86 944's? My husband has the next carnation...the 968. He loves it.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:04 AM
Julia
Instructor

Doug,

I was just on Optimum's web site. Is the spray you are talking about the Optimum Car Wax spray? I didn't see a sealer on the site.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:48 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Hey Julia!
The Optimum is a spray car wax--it's not listed as a sealer, it just acts as one and contains UV protection. The bottle is blue and has the label "Optimum Car Wax" on the front. I got mine from Top-of-the-Line (top-of-the-line.com I think) upon Anthony's recommendation--don't know about comparison prices. Several of Anthony's threads are about Optimum if you type it in a "search threads" under concours. As stated previously, it is a great finishing touch. Anthony suggests using it after every wash, which I do. Also works on glass, rims, plastic etc.

I tried to buy my low mileage 944 on e-Bay (I saw it and lusted for it--41k miles, 1 owner, all records, etc.) but their server was not working and I couldn't get registered. The auction ended and I waved bye-bye to it. I managed to get registered, and found my daily driver nearby, albeit a bit of a restoration project, bought for $3,500. 2 weeks later the original car shows up on e-Bay again, the owner's reserve not having been met in the first auction. I managed to contact him in Pittsburgh and flew up to look at it. It was absolutely PERFECT as advertised. What's a P-car lover to do? I worked a deal after the 2nd auction ended below his reserve--three other guys wanted it as well, but he sold it to me because I had gone up to look at it and met him. Now I have a "show car" and a daily driver in need of help, but the racing bug hits after attending a Porsche Club race at Sebring ( I used to race in SCCA). Neither car is really appropriate to even do DE's--one too "new", one to "old". So now I have to find a car for the track. I found my '81 SC advertised in our PCA region newsletter. Built by our now Chief Driving Instructor for track use. It has many many track mods. SS brake lines, Zimmerman cross-drilled rotors, Pagid Orange pads, ATE Super Blue fluid, MOMO wheel, Weltmeister short-shift kit, strut camber brace, sway bars, lowered and lightened by 320#--no A/C or heat, rear/front stripped, Recaro seats and 5-point harnesses, fiberglass RS front/rear bumpers, 225/245 tires, new Platinum paint plus much more! what's a P-car lover to do? I bought it to play with on the track--handles and runs GREAT! Very fast for a 3.0. I've run it at Sebring many times, Moroso Motorsports Park, Miami-Homestead Speedway. I did go through the 915 transmission, but otherwise it has been bullet-proof--nothing more than tech inspections to race and routine maintenance. I love it! Check out my website for over 550 pix of my and MANY other Porsches and Porsche racing, Daytona 24 Hours, Sebring etc. groups.msn.com/porschelovers--pca
click on "pictures"

BTW--I know what you mean about heat--I ran at Sebring 2 weeks ago, 95 degrees heat/humidity, full suit... the 968's are beautiful! I almost bought a 968 cabriolet, but it is a sickness and I knew I had to stop somewhere...

Make sure you take pix Sunday and post them! I'd also love to hear more details about what you do to prepare your car for a concours--new thread, maybe in Concours? Good luck and have FUN!
Regards, Doug

Quick Reply: Strange oil cap question