Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1986 Sunroof question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 09:05 PM
gpm414
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Sunroof question

One of the little things that needs attention on my newly acquired '86 Carrera is the sunroof. The headliner material that covers the underside of the sunroof has the "sags". I'm guessing that the clips that hold the fabric have slipped or failed, so I have purchased new clips, but I am looking for suggestions and/or tips on accessing or removing the underside panel so I can restretch the fabric. Is it necessary to remove the sunroof? I have a manual that shows how to remove the sunroof, but was wondering if that was necessary. Thanks for any tips.

[IMG]Headliner.JPG[/IMG]
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2005, 01:32 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I just recently completed an entire headliner/sunroof/side window conversion/update/repair, so this is all very fresh in my mind. Forgive me if it seems wordy. Here we go:
1- There are no 'clips' holding the fabric tight over the framework. It is simply stretched and then glued along the perimeter of the frame and the center 'bow' (which gets 'wrapped' with a piece of fabric that is stitched into the headliner material (see the seam in your photo).
2- The framework is attached to the actual sunroof by 5-6 metal clips (not terribly unlike the door panel 'snap-in type) located along the front edge.
3- In order to repair/replace the fabric you will need to remove the sunroof.

simply put:
open it about 4 inches and separate the framework from the actual sunroof panel by 'un-snapping' the connectors (wedge your fingers above the fabric on the front edge, it will now slide back freely into the roof).
Remove the sunroof (procedure is difficult to explain, but straight forward once you look up inside there).
Front- Remove 4 screws that hold the guides onto the panel
Rear- Remove 4 screws that connect the plates to the panel (pay attention to the way these plates are connected, there is a 'shim' that helps hold them in place).
Now the panel can be slid/pulled/tilted out of the roof.
Now you will need to disassemble the air deflector and remove 4 screws that connect the tracks to the roof. The framework slides in the groove created between the tracks and the roof.
Once the tracks are loose at the front, simply tilt them to make room for the framework to flop around(use caution as there are plastic fingers/tabs on the back ends that can be broken off fairly easily. Once this happens you can no longer align the tracks and you WILL break a cable!)
The framework will now slide out/up much like the panel.
Recover the framework and reverse the procedure. I used 3M trim adhesive from Performance Products, but I'm sure it is available at any number of local places.
Be sure the framework doesn't 'bind' in the groove and that it slides forward/backward easily before installing the sunroof panel.

You should not have to make any height adjustments of the sunroof panel where it connects to the cables/plates if you leave the single, slotted screw on each side ALONE!

Consider replacing the sunroof seals since it is out. They cost about $40 or so.
Restretch/glue the headliner where it wraps the roof (inside the sunroof hole) if necessary.
Taking your time (and enjoying your beer) it should take about 30 minutes to remove and 15-20 to re-install.
+++
Old 07-14-2005, 07:29 PM
gpm414
Intermediate

Thanks Dan...looks pretty straight forward. I knew someone had gone before me and could give me some advise. I think I'll save the beer as I admire my work.

Quick Reply: 1986 Sunroof question