1980 911 SC ext mirrors, how to tighten

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 08:15 AM
redtdi96
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 911 SC ext mirrors, how to tighten

Hi all,
My outside mirrors are loose, not the part that interfaces to the door but the mirror assm that rotates on the bracket that connects to the door. I'll take any advice here, how to tighten both assembles.

I'd say a Blow-up of the assembly would do the trick.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:23 AM
Mark Hald
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If I recall correctly, you have to remove the mirror from the door, then the pivot can be tightened.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark is correct ... remove the small rubber plug on the base of the mirror to expose an Allen-head bolt. Loosen the Allen-head bolt until the mirror can be removed. The Allen-head bolt should not come all the way out ... if it does, the clamp that holds the mirror in place will fall to the bottom of the door and create more work . Once the mirror is out, there is a round "nut" with a slot in it. Use a large screwdriver in the slot to tighten the nut which will put more tension on the pivot point. Then reinstall the mirror.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:21 AM
redtdi96
Instructor

I think I have another issue.

I can take mirror off car by loosing allen, but.... I can also take mirror off car by just lifting the mirror assembly off the base that is attached to car!

When I lift it off the base that is attached to car the shaft assembly has 4-cams that allow the mirror to give and rotate if you bump into it. I'm missing the "something" that holds the mirror assembly to the cammed piece that attaches to the car via the allen bolt.

The rod/piece that comes out of base that attaches to the car is threaded and somehow ties the two assemblies to gether.

I checked "my genuine parts and tech reference manual" and Bentley and it is not clear how they interface.

This is not a show stopper, but needs to be fixed right!
Thanks

Quick Reply: 1980 911 SC ext mirrors, how to tighten