Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need new tires on my 87 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 06:32 PM
yvonnejim
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new tires on my 87 Carrera

I am currently running Dunlops that only have about 4K miles, but they are 10 years old, so I think I should get new ones. What are some recommendations for my 16-inch Fuchs ?
Old 07-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Gost
Instructor

If they are 6 & 7's then the top tire sizes are Fr 205-55 and rears 225-50. Top performance tires are Michelin Pilot sports PS2, Yokohama AVS Sports, Kumho Ecsta MX's, Bridgestone SO2, BFG G-force T/A KD's, One step down are the Yokohama AVS ES 100's which I bought just the other day and love then Avon Tech M500, Kumho 712, Fuzion ZR1.
Plenty of talk on the forum. Heres a link. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=228612
Good luck
Old 07-06-2005, 07:35 PM
yvonnejim
Advanced

I am looking for the following tire sizes, which is what I am running right now. 205/55-16 FRONT TIRES / 225/50-16 REAR TIRES -

I think I would like the PS2's , but Discount Tire says they are not available for the 16 inch. Or at least in these sizes.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I know that everyone has a favorite. Mine are the Bridgestone S0-2s (make sure they're "N3" - Porsche approved). They are available in your sizes...
Pete
Old 07-06-2005, 09:42 PM
einzel
Intermediate

Same as my friend.. go for SO2... simply the best!! Here in Europe are the best and specially in Germany.. and they really know about their cars!!

Yoko is good but radical, Kumho Ects are ok, Michels PS2 are for AMG and M Powers.. Most of Porsches here have Bridgs or Pzeros!!

And the most important thing about the SO2, it will not brake in curve 13 at Indy!!! (sorry michelin..)
Old 07-06-2005, 10:17 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought a set of the AVS EV100's for my `87 and am quite happy with them. Broke them in with a trip to Banff. Check out www.tirerack.com.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:33 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Hmmmm.... Ok, who likes the S02's more than the S03's -- and why??
Old 07-07-2005, 12:07 AM
Gost
Instructor

The PS2's are available in your sizes, your salesman is brain dead. Check Tirerack.com and print their quote and go to your favorite installer and have them beat the price.
So.....who does like SO2's better than SO3's. I left the SO3's out of my tire line up...dope!
Old 07-07-2005, 11:20 AM
gpm414
Intermediate

I've been looking for tires for my 86 Carrera and appreciate the information found here. Does anyone have information or experience with Toyo tires, I looked at the Proxes 4 the other day at a local tire dealer. I found some postive reviews, but not from a 911 owner. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:22 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have Pilot Sport PS2s on my Saab. They are the best 'overall' performance tyre I've ever had. By 'overall' I mean the combination of smooth rolling, fairly quiet, great wet and dry grip. I have Bridgestone tyres that came on the SC I just bought but right now I can't tell you which model , but I do not like the way they sing like canaries on acid. Their grip is better in the dry than in the wet, wet traction doesn't match the PS2s. Since they only have about 5k miles on them, I'll keep them till they're gone, then switch to PS2s. I'm spending too much on nickel and dime stuff for the SC (H4's, new lid struts, floormats,etc) to justify replacing tyres that are almost new.

Re: Indy. At least Michelin did the honorable thing and fell on their sword, they are refunding everyone's money, and buying 20000 tics for next year. Pretty classy move if you ask me. The farce there could have been avoided if Max Mosley and Jean Todt weren't such asswipe prats and had agreed to a chicane. Ferrari SUCKS, as does their 'I am the best, so all must bow down and move over for me. Never equal equipment or an equal teammate on MY team' spoonfaced driver. Nothing makes me happier than to see Ferrari's current regime have hard times. Go Team ABF ! (Anybody but Ferrari)
Old 07-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

As I recall, once F1 cars have qualified they are sent to Parc Ferme, not to be touched until they are taken to the grid. Following qualifying no changes may be made prior to the race. Michelin had a clear responsibility, just like Bridgestone, to have back-up tires, perhaps more durable and less high performance, available for all seven teams. Let's see, turn 13 (aka turn 1) has been there almost a hundred years, Michelin should know how to deal with that, they just pushed their performance envelope too far. A chicane, why? Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi didn't need one. They came properly prepared. Think about this: Ferrari shows up at a race, tells Charlie Whiting that they can't get their 7th gear to work, and ask for a chicane on the straight. Yeah, right. SAME THING AS AT INDY! About Ferrari's drivers, I don't understand what your claim is. M. Schumacher had already won two world championships before he walked into Ferrari's garage. He took an inept team with no direction and turned it into a machine. He had epic battles with Mika, and then he was on the top step of the podium. He has never had a quicker teammate, and drivers, now retired, like E. Irvine and past Benneton drivers say that Michael is the hardest working driver in F1. He has also earned the respect of many along pit lane, driver's, owners and team managers alike. Now we have Fernando and Kimi, McLaren and Renault have figured it out, and soon so will Toyota. Is that good for the sport? Heck yes, it's really good. Can you ever take away from Shumi that he is probably the best ever to sit in an F1 car. Heck no, you can't. Did Michelin screw up badly? Oh, yeah. But they have acted honorably, so it looks like everybody (Whiting, Mosley, etc.) did the right thing. This isn't about Ferrari, it's about bad Michelins. Hopefully we'll never see this situation repeated.
Pete
Old 07-07-2005, 02:33 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Only two things you need to know when buying tires for your 911. Tire Rack and S-03.

The best street rubber dry/wet money can buy (bring quite a bit of it) for our cars. Nobody touches tire rack's price on these things. Even shipped to me in Calgary + GST + customs rapage still way cheaper than 10-10 tire or any local source I could find.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:34 PM
NC-P-Croc
AutoX

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
As I recall, once F1 cars have qualified they are sent to Parc Ferme, not to be touched until they are taken to the grid. Following qualifying no changes may be made prior to the race. Michelin had a clear responsibility, just like Bridgestone, to have back-up tires, perhaps more durable and less high performance, available for all seven teams. Let's see, turn 13 (aka turn 1) has been there almost a hundred years, Michelin should know how to deal with that, they just pushed their performance envelope too far. A chicane, why? Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi didn't need one. They came properly prepared. Think about this: Ferrari shows up at a race, tells Charlie Whiting that they can't get their 7th gear to work, and ask for a chicane on the straight. Yeah, right. SAME THING AS AT INDY! About Ferrari's drivers, I don't understand what your claim is. M. Schumacher had already won two world championships before he walked into Ferrari's garage. He took an inept team with no direction and turned it into a machine. He had epic battles with Mika, and then he was on the top step of the podium. He has never had a quicker teammate, and drivers, now retired, like E. Irvine and past Benneton drivers say that Michael is the hardest working driver in F1. He has also earned the respect of many along pit lane, driver's, owners and team managers alike. Now we have Fernando and Kimi, McLaren and Renault have figured it out, and soon so will Toyota. Is that good for the sport? Heck yes, it's really good. Can you ever take away from Shumi that he is probably the best ever to sit in an F1 car. Heck no, you can't. Did Michelin screw up badly? Oh, yeah. But they have acted honorably, so it looks like everybody (Whiting, Mosley, etc.) did the right thing. This isn't about Ferrari, it's about bad Michelins. Hopefully we'll never see this situation repeated.
Pete
Pete,
You are absolutely correct that Michelin screwed up. My beef is regarding what fans who'd paid their hard-earned money had to watch. An absolute farce. I understand Michelin screwed up, I understand that by the rules as they currently stand, there was no reason for the FIA or Ferrari to budge, but I think that disregard for the fans is callous and I totally disagree with it. I don't care if there is F1 in the US or not. I'm more a fan of the ACO and LeMans prototypes and production-based cars than I am of F1.

I think in this case F1 should have pulled together to do what was right for the fans. (back in '84 after Senna died Mosley agreed to a temporary tyre chicane at the Spanish GP). I have seen Ferrari get away with slapped hands for their illegal barge boards, for orchestrating races, and Spoonface get his hand slapped for punting Villeneuve in Jerez in 97. Explain having his points for that year taken away, yet he still gets the poles and wins in his record column ? What sort of bullsh*t is that? I was a Ferrari and Schumacher fan up until Jerez in 97, that incident changed my loyalties. When it was all on the line, he resorted to the same tactics he pulled against Hill in 94. Punt 'em.

You and I will never agree about how the FIA treats Ferrari. I'd shudder to think of what would have happened had the Bridgestones been failing and Ferrari couldn't run at Indy. I'll bet you a week's pay we'd have seen a full field racing with some sort of improvised solution, and I'd have gladly agreed with it, for the FANS' sake.

I think this year's 'no changing tyres' rule is idiocy. I think for all of Mosley's vaunted 'safety concerns' this no-tyre-changes rule is insane.

Talk to JJ Lehto or Johnny Herbert about their treatment at a Schumacher-led Benetton team. I have, talked to them both at length at FIA-GT and Petit LeMans races. I'm not doubting Schumacher's ability, or how his determination has turned Ferrari (albeit with him bringing the Benetton folks like Brawn and Byrne with him) into a winner. BUT the man will not allow a teammate that he believes can beat him, nor does the teammate always get equal equipment. I asked JJ to sign HIS Benetton car model from 94, and he started cursing. We know what a good driver JJ is. He said plain and simple in '94 when Spoonface won his first title that "I got f*cked". We were deprived of the battles we really wanted to see between the two best F1 drivers: Senna and Schumacher. I know F1 is "IF" spelled backwards but had Senna lived, Michael would not have 7 titles.

Imagine Michael's reaction if Todt wanted to hire Kimi for '06. It wouldn't happen. Kimi would probably jump at the chance to go head to head with Spoonface. Would Michael allow it ? hah hah, not in a million years
Old 07-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

I am also in the market for new tires. I had the ES100's on my SC, liked them but
want to try something new. The S0-3's are a bit out of my price range as are the
Michelins. I am really leaning to the new Toyo T1-R's anybody running these ?
Thanks,
Chuck
Old 07-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Before that horrible weekend in the early part of '94 it was truly looking like a Senna vs. Shumi season. Let's not forget that Michael won the first two races that year, and was in 2nd place going into Tamburello. The rest is history, and all F1 fans throughout the world were cheated by a freak accident. Senna took with him the reason he went off, nobody will ever know. Maybe his tires lost enough pressure or grip under the yellow to not stick, maybe the car bottomed out, or maybe he already saw the writing on the wall - that Michael had arrived, was really fast, and Senna was not going to lift.

You can say what you want about Michael hand-picking teammates, but don't ever forget that there are 18 other guys out there (that aren't "slow" teammates) that he also regularly wallops (13 times last year)! We went to Montreal '97, Indy '00 and '04, and we never went home thinking that the best guy didn't win. Shumi and Rubens were in the turn #1 braking zone directly below my seat in '04, following the extended yellow for Ralf. Believe me, nobody near us thought that he could make the corner, as late as he left his braking. But he did. I also watched Scheckter, Reggazzoni and the rest battle in Long Beach, I watched Alan Jones shake down his car at Willow Springs Raceway, and I traveled to Phoenix to watch the boys in the very early '90s. I watched Michael get in a F1 car for the first time in '91. He had never sat in a Jordan, and he had never seen Spa. Yet he qualified the car 7th, it's highest starting spot ever.

Anyway, Michael's had his hand slapped hard also. Remember when he ignored a black flag, and was DQ'd for plank wear. Sure, he had some lapses in judgement, I know that I did when I was 22!

It's funny that you mention contact with Hill. The following morning, when it was all over and the championship had been won, Hill crossed the hotel lobby in order to congratulate Michael. Hill later said that the championship had already been over for a long time, the accident was only a small part of it. Martin Brundle at one point simply described Michael as "blessed with speed." I think that said it all, and I disagree about saying that Michael would not have seven. If Senna had lived Schumi might have 10, because Mika might not have had all his stars align, and Senna and Hill would have split lot's of points in '96.

Now I'm going to shut up because I think that we hijacked this thread!

Chuck, a lot of autocrossers are using Toyo's. Also, the last conversation I had with Tire Rack was pretty positive in favor of the Re 750s, which replaced the noisy 730s. Unfortunately I've never used them. I know a BMW racer who swears by Toyo's, and he's used them for a long time.
Pete

Quick Reply: Need new tires on my 87 Carrera