Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 windshield wipers terrible

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 10:37 PM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Post 911 windshield wipers terrible

I've owned a bunch of 911s, and the windshield wipers functioned poorly on all of them. I don't mean the wiper mechanisms themselves, which have always worked flawlessly for me. I'm talking about the removal of water from the windshield. I have had terrible streaking. The problem is bearable in the day, but excruciating at night, when oncoming headlight glare refracts in the streaks, making for moments of complete white out. I have tried new blades (always Bosch, now, and the SKW (??) when Porsche used to supply those), new windshield and careful cleaning. It does get better with each of these three, but never as good as my Suburban, which hasn't had new blades since who knows when. A big disadvantage of 911s is that the car is low, so you're in the rooster tail of everything else (in contrast with the Suburban!), and the hood sort of acts like a scoop to channel all the spray onto the windshield. But, I would have thought that Porsche, of all people, would have worked this out. There's got to be some tricks to making it work better.

I know that very few old 911 owners venture out in the rain with their cars, but I do. Can anyone else offer a few tips?

My car is an '83 Targa. It doesn't leak a drop of water into the passenger compartment, by the way.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:17 AM
Millzeee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine were terrible until i got hold of some snazy bosch twin blade wipers, work an absolute treat even if your screen is covered in flys and it starts raining
Old 09-16-2002, 07:29 AM
Christian S.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I was recommended by the Customer Centre at the factory to upgrade the Wiper arms to the 964 versions - greater pressure on the screen it would seem - work quite well now, apart from still missing the top left corner. Standard Bosch blades too.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:39 AM
Rick C
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 87 Targa and the wipers only seem to clear properly for a few months. Don't know if that's because I usually don't take it out in the rain, or because of the extreme curvature of the window (compared to modern flat-windowed aero cars). I've used Rain-X which seems to help a good deal.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:57 PM
Michael Mullen
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried those little bladed attachments (cost less than $3) that you attach to the blades? They create downforce on the blades. It seems to help quite a bit.

- Mike
Old 09-17-2002, 04:25 AM
John Shingleton
AutoX

Changed the blades on my 1977 911 when I bought it a year ago and found no real improvement but now I know why the previous owner had given the screen a liberal dose of rain x !
Old 09-17-2002, 10:53 AM
Mike Scott
Intermediate

A couple things that have worked well for me: Clean the windshield really well, there may be some road film, or remnants of RainX on there that are contibuting to the streaking. Try Bon-ami powdered glass cleaner if you can find it, or Wurth Citrus Degreaser to cut through the film. Also, even if the blades are new, clean them well with Citrus Degreaser, or rubbing alcohol. See if this helps.

Quick Reply: 911 windshield wipers terrible