Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking at 75 911 Targa.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 09:21 PM
wsandman
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Looking at 75 911 Targa.

I looked at a 75 Targa tonight and fell in love with the thing.

The paint was in fair shape and the seats were dammaged with seat covers on them.

The car ran very well and the current owner put 26K miles on it with out any engine repairs needed. He had to replace the clutch cable and thats it.

Is there anything I should look for. Also does anyone know where a Porsche mechanic new Indianapolis,IN is were I could take the car to be checked out? Also, about how much should I pay to have a 75 911 checked out?

What kind of brakes does it have? Disk or drums. The brakes felt a little weak.

Is the 165HP rating at the flywheel or the wheels? I was really suprized how quick the car was.

The owner is asking 7grand OBO and it has 128K miles on the engine. There isn't much paper work with the car and the owner hasn't has to do anything with the car. Is this a fair asking price?

Thanks for the time

William
Old 01-23-2002, 11:17 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suggest you do a little research on the '74 -'76 2.7 liter engines. This forum is a good source as a start. The main culprit is magnesium crankcase on these cars.

What seems like a bargain could easily double in price (and then some) if a rebuild is required, and it most certainly will be needed will be if it hasn't already been done and done correctly. (If it has, great, but get documentation)

A PPI should be about 100 - 150 bucks, and any competent P mechanic will recommend pulling the valve covers to check the studs, so factor in another 35 or so for a gasket set.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:02 AM
wsandman
5th Gear

Thanks for the info. The current owner doesn't have any papers on a engine rebuild. I think I will take my chances and pay a mechanic to look at the car. Normaly I wouldn't do such a thing, but the engine sounded, ran so good. I liked it much better then a 84 928 I looked at. For never being restored, I would say it was in very good shape. Then again, I have much to learn about the 2.7 911. My wife and I have learned much about the import 4g63 turbo engine and own two cars. A 92 Galant VR4 and a 91 Talon Tsi. Both have been very good, but now I want a older Porsche. I want a older classic car to cruse in. I don't want a race car, but I don't want a nightmare as well. I want a car that takes normal maitanance. I want a car that I can play in and take to dinner, but I also don't want a wimpy Porsche that can't take a 80s V8 or something. I was really suprized how well this car pulled. With a intake and tune up, I'm sure it would be perfect. Asumming it doesn't need anything major.

William
Old 01-24-2002, 01:35 PM
VWpete
Intermediate

Thumbs down

My '77 2.7 engine was rebuilt before I bought it in Indy and I have one word of advice. Stay away from Farmer's. They cost me more than 3g's in redoing the parts they hastily skipped. BE CAREFUL with Farmer's.
Best,
Pete
Old 01-24-2002, 02:02 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
I'd walk on this one...take the $7,000 you have saved up and put a down payment on a 78SC or later (Or a 77 3.0 RoW Carrera). The SC is such a fantastic improvement over the 75 to 77 cars. Read Bruce Anderson's Porsche High Peerformance Handbook and you'll get an idea of what is involved in a 75 to 77 US car. Also get The Used 911 Story by Pete Zimmerman. You'll come to the same conclusion...the 75 to 77 US cars, specifically the motors, are OK, but ONLY if they have been properly re-built with line boring, changing the head studs to Raceware or Divalar studs, Case Savers, blah, blah. If you do all of this, you will have spent at least $5,000, and you'll have a car that will not be easy to sell in the future to a knowledgable Porschephille. True, there are exceptions to the above, I just have not heard of many. So many of have been down this path...stay off, it isn't worth it. All of the above, IMHO, of course.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:50 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep in mind you are looking at a vehicle that is at least 27 years old. Even if the 911 was in mint, concours condition with full records, there still would be things that would break from normal use and age. If you want to drive a 911 that only costs you normal maintenance, an average ’75 911 is not the car for you. The only cars that don’t cost much to maintain are new cars with factory warranties. A 1975 with no records and in average condition is best left to people who have deep pockets.

Read Schacht993’s post above. That advice is pretty sound.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:57 PM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have to jump in with those saying take a walk on this one unless it passes a PPI with flying colors. With nothing to tell you the engine has been rebuilt and the head stud problem taken care of, this car is a $5000 problem just waiting to happen. It sounds like maybe you just fell for the first 911 you saw. Take your time, half the fun of ownership is the search.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:56 PM
rfw 911
Intermediate

While I to am new to these cars, let me tell you a quick story. I purchased my 77 Euro Carrara 3.0 from a private party. This was the first car I looked at and purchased it WITHOUT a PPI. My reasoning was that after
seeing receipts for over$8000.00 a bottom end, clutch set, heater boxes, new studs,rings,pop-off and tensioner upgrades done approx. 1 1/2 years ago and that there was only 3000 miles on the rebuild I would be safe for a few years,.....wrong.

On my birthday,(Happy Birthday?)she started to smoke like a 62 Chevy, diagnosis after
having the engine pulled, blown valve seal.

I just dropped off a check at the mechanic for $2000.00 for a deposit on having the top end done and a few other minor things that will total out to $3500.00!

All of this after getting to ENJOY my P car for however miles one gets out of a tank of gas!

What I have learned and what I have read on this list,buy the most car you can afford and make sure you dont blow your whole budget on the purchase price.

Put aside a few grand, even if it isnt for repairs, there will be things you will want to do to personalize your ride, and its no fun having to "wish" you had a crystal ball!

Regards,
Rich
77 Euro Carrara
(waiting for my car back!)
Old 01-25-2002, 03:07 PM
Want to be
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wsandman: William,

If you are wanting to have the 2.7 checked out see BOB FARMER. I realize that someone posted some bad info about him but he is actually one of the best. Bob will fix any problem @ the cheapest price at that. He will stand by his work and fix anything that was done wrong. Farmers cars always dominates the PCA circuit in the MIDWEST. Please email me if you want his address and phone number.

Good luck , i have owned 4 Porsche's and Bob has done an excellent job!

jpc
Old 01-25-2002, 04:01 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Wsandman:
If this is the first 911 you have looked at, look at a few more. You said the current owner has hasn't spent any money on repairs in 26K miles? Stay away from this car if that is the case! I would bet he hasn't had the valves adjusted. 911s, up to 95 models need valve adjustments every 15K miles. Any 911 you are considering buying should be taken for a pre-purchase inspection by a knowledgeable Porsche technician. Like the others have said, be careful with a 2.7. If this 2.7 has thermal reactors on it, chances are this car has run on the warm side it's hole life.
Old 01-25-2002, 04:03 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Wsandman:
If this is the first 911 you have looked at, look at a few more. You said the current owner has hasn't spent any money on repairs in 26K miles other than a clutch cable? Stay away from this car if that is the case! I would bet he hasn't had the valves adjusted. 911s, up to 95 models need valve adjustments every 15K miles. Any 911 you are considering buying should be taken for a pre-purchase inspection by a knowledgeable Porsche technician. Like the others have said, be careful with a 2.7. If this 2.7 has thermal reactors on it, chances are this car has run on the warm side it's hole life.
Old 01-25-2002, 04:29 PM
brandon
Instructor

William,

I wouldn't do it. The best $350 I spent was on 2 pre-purchase inspections on cars that I DIDN'T buy!

The first was a gorgeous Deep Blue '76 in immaculate (looking) condition. 1 owner, rebuilt at 60K miles ($6500 in 1980) and only 82,000 original miles. All records!

Well, the PPI indicated a motor in need of a second rebuild, it still had the original thermal reactors which apparently cooked the engine the first time and were well on their way to doing it again. Major body work had been done, & the paint was bubbling in several places. The tires were Pirelli's that were cracked with dry rot (15+ years old). The list goes on.

Examine your desires list & look hard at your pocketbook. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN INEXPENSIVE 911!

Also, although their performance is good, there are endless numbers of (far less expensive) cars out there that will beat the 911 every time.

If you still feel you MUST have this car, have a PPI done (compression leakdown etc., etc.) and then set aside an additional $5000 to $7000 for repairs.

Best of Luck
Old 01-25-2002, 05:21 PM
davis911s
Instructor

OK I am the only one thinking the other way.

definetly have a PPI done, also check to see what, if any upgrades are done ie pressure tensioners, pop-off valve, NO thermals. if it passes and you really like it see what price you can get him down to.

I bought a 77 4 1/2 years ago, NO PPI, and knew little. So far no major problems. My head studs are all tight and I have done all the updates. Granted mine is a Canadian car with no thermals (gone way before I bought it). But I think the 2.7 gets a bad rap. They are a lot of fun and since they have this bad rap-fairly cheap purchase price.

A well maintained and looked after 2.7 is great.

Shawn
Old 01-25-2002, 05:37 PM
wsandman
5th Gear

Thanks for all the info guys. It is a lot to consider and I have read and learned a lot in the last week.

William

Quick Reply: Looking at 75 911 Targa.