Old 05-12-2010, 07:45 AM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tango635
I like how you said this. Very true.

On Pelican, the one thing I found confusing the other day is that they apparently carry a brand called OEM and also carry Porsche brand. In this case I was shopping for head studs. Not sure what the difference was, both numbers started with 993. I ended up buying from Rennsport Systems for cheaper though, so I got great advise and a better price too. Can't beat that.
OEM and Genuine Porsche are two different things entirely. We have a page describing all of the differences on our website: http://www.pelicanparts.com/support/OEM_FAQ.htm

-Wayne
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ivangene,
The people at Zimz are all stand up guys. They've serviced my 911 as well as sold me parts over the counter. Zim's is a Rennlist sponsor. Al and his team have been in the Porsche business for a very long time.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:19 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,099 Likes on 784 Posts

people often confuse OE and OEM

OE is original equipment that came on your car and is what the dealer would sell
OEM is the same manufacturer of the part that was OE but may not be to the same exacting standards so can not put the OE logo on it such as " Porsche".
Old 05-12-2010, 11:10 AM
May911-85
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I contract a lot of Manufacturing in my day job... OEM (Original equipment manufacturer) has traditionally meant that someone (Like me) would contact a factory (like DBA= disc brakes of australia) OEM for Brembo and others, to produce a product to my requirements... OE tends to be reserved for factories today who only build for one brand... what can be confusing is that even those OE's will call themselves OEM suppliers from time to time.... Chuck
Old 05-12-2010, 04:12 PM
bart1
Race Car

A good example I know of relating to OE vs OEM is Zimmerman vs. Porsche brake discs. The Zims used to be uncoated (hates and internals), while the Porsche ones were coated. The OE (Porsche) ones didn;'t rust and seem to squeak a lot less. The last time I bought all 4 for my 968 from Pelican, they had new Zimmermans that did have a coating. 2 of mine did and two didn't. I painted the two that didn't, but I think next time I will just order Porsche ones from Sunset. I painted the rusty Zims on my 993 (put on by PO) and they squeak a lot.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

We found that frequent washing (once a week is enough), using a water hose against COLD calipers until the black water turns clear, can have a major positive impact on brake squeak. Of course, the pads have to be correctly installed for this to work. Another squeak-cause that we discovered was Armor All and similar products. Never spray the product directly onto the sidewall, atomized bits of spray will always make it to the rotors through the wheel openings, and can cause squeaks. The latter was discovered when we learned that a customer's car was professionally detailed, often, and she stopped by the shop one day post detail and the tires were literally dripping with the stuff the detailer used on them. She ordered her guy to spray the stuff onto a rag, then wipe the tires. Problem fixed!
Old 05-12-2010, 07:45 PM
whalebird
Race Car

OEM fan belts may have Good Year, Gates, or Dayco printed on them, but you will have to go to the dealer to get the "Porsche" belt. The same Dayco (by application) is not manufactured to Porsche specs although they are OEM. There is a differance in some parts.
When doing maintenance services, I always used a belt and filters thaat had Porsche printed on them. They are superior and means something to the customer when they open the deck for a look at whats been done. Same thing for lots of other parts to.
Choose your parts supplier carefully.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:50 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Porsche switched to a cheap-o Fram type filter. For filters, I stick with Mahle.

The Porsche fan belt is really good for the 3.2, but if you can't find one, then the Continental belt works well. There is a British Opti belt that is crap, and I don't think the Gates or Car Quest ones are much better IMO.

I sometimes use a 911SC fan belt on the 3.2 when adjusting valves. If your hands are clean, then you can also pinch the belt together with one hand while turning the fan nut with the other. This will increase belt tension enough to be able to turn the motor over during the compression stroke.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Good call on the belt .. it looks cool to see that on the belt ... at least it used to be .. now it looks like someone put it on with a spray can ..
Old 05-12-2010, 09:02 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The other lesson here is that there's hardly any margin on parts resale. It's all in the volume. Now, the importers (the Worldpacs and SSFs of the business) are the ones who have done very well.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Alt/fan belt...9.5 x 710;
Attached Images    
Old 05-14-2010, 06:46 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

hey Pete my Porsche belt I bought did NOT look like that , and I boughtit form a dealer .. there was one big porsche word looks like it was written in crayon . i was somewhat dissapointed.. but it dic ome in the cardboard holder though
Old 05-14-2010, 07:33 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Originally Posted by race911
The other lesson here is that there's hardly any margin on parts resale. It's all in the volume. Now, the importers (the Worldpacs and SSFs of the business) are the ones who have done very well.
Dave at SSF is a GREAT Porsche parts guy. WorldPac can be evil. SSF is a huge company. If anybody wants parts from these guys you'll have to go to your reputable indie shop.
There is(was) a federal requirment for automakers to support their cars with parts for ten years. After that it's entirely up to the factory if they want to give us parts. Porsche relies heavily on the OEM guys to keep their cars on the road as they are not very concerned with the cars or theirowners in this forum.
Many dealers have Worldpac and SSF accounts as well.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
hey Pete my Porsche belt I bought did NOT look like that , and I boughtit form a dealer .. there was one big porsche word looks like it was written in crayon . i was somewhat dissapointed.. but it dic ome in the cardboard holder though
But your car uses a 9.5 x 725 (#097 50)...that could be the difference.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:54 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
Porsche relies heavily on the OEM guys to keep their cars on the road as they are not very concerned with the cars or their owners in this forum.
I disagree. Compared to other manufacturers, Porsche has a fantastic supply of parts for many of the older cars, 25+ years old. Having owned several other cars from other manufacturers, I do appreciate the fact that many older Porsche parts are still available from the factory. I am often surprised at the vast array and volume of parts that are still available for the classics.

-Wayne

Quick Reply: Where do you buy parts from?