Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

87 Carrera Electric Seat Controls

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 06:48 PM
yvonnejim
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Carrera Electric Seat Controls

I have an 87 Carrera with the 2 up-down buttons on the left side of the driver's seat. The rear button only works in the up mode. I have been reading in other threads this is probably due to the switch. Probably needs cleaned.

This assembly seems to come off with the removal of the plastic bezel with 2 screws. The button module seems to be in one piece ( both buttons in the one module ) There is one screw on the front of this module. I took this out, and started to pull. That is where I am at now. Not sure if I should just go ahead and keep pulling. What next? I know the buttons are hot, but didn't want to unhook the battery yet, until I know if the radio needs resetting, etc. Pretty new to the old Porsches.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:57 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an electrical plug up under the seat. I believe it is rectangular. Follow the wire up top it and use your hand to pry it off the male portion of the plug. You don't have to disconnect the battery.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:13 PM
yvonnejim
Advanced

Default Electric Seat Controls

If I unplug these wires, what next? Or is this just for removing the button assembly? I was interested in probably accessing the switch and cleaning the contacts to see if this is the problem. Other threads also indicate that these switches have soldered wire connections on the back.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:27 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once the plug is removed, you can snake the entire plug and switch out of the seat and put the switch on a bench to work on it. That makes it much easier to clean and repair if it needs to be re-soldered. Personally I always remove the seat so I have plenty of room to work. I have found that there are little plastic bundles ties that hold the wire to the upper part of the seat and you may not see or feel all of them. The seats have 6 bolts holding them in place.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:36 PM
yvonnejim
Advanced

Is there one connector per button? Some other threads talk about unplugging the connector and plug back together, reversing polarity. This would give me the ability to work the seat in the other direction. Which is what I want, at least temporarily.

And where is the connector? I see one down on the floor towards the back of the seat. There is a big square thing ( about 6x6, not sure what that is ) , and a shiny round electrical device of some sort on the floor also. And I see the motors, also. Just trying to get my bearings here.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:57 AM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Had the same situation with my passenger seat. Tried taking the switch apart and cleaning after removing seat [to help access] but that didn't work. Bought a new switch and that fixed it.

todd
86 coupe

Quick Reply: 87 Carrera Electric Seat Controls