broken sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 12:04 AM
BPBevins
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default broken sunroof

hello all,

last night i closed the s/r to go into a store, and when i came back out i opened the s/r, but instead i heard a terrible noise. the motor works, but i guess a gear or cable has broken. anyone have experience at fixing this? is it something i can tackle or do i need to take it to a shop? if its a job i can do are there any tips or secrets you can pass along?

thanks
brandon
Old 06-08-2005, 01:09 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brandon,
I'm in this boat neck deep.
I'm not sure which year you have, but SC and Carrera models suffer from having smaller diameter cables than the later 964.
This is only complicated by the fact that the earlier version of cables are NLA.
This means that you either need to modify the newer cables when you install them, or replace the guides to the 964 style to allow the fatter cables to fit properly.
I actually have a good set of 964 guides (right and left) that were installed in my 84 by the previous owner. Whent he cable broke, I just ordered all that parts that I expected to change, only to discover that they had already been upgraded.
If you need them and are intersted, PM me and we'll work something out. They cost ~$75 each new.
Anyway, sunroof cable/guide swap is a definite DIY project.
They only possible problem will be if the coupler or gear is bad. They are both high dollar items.
I found that Performance Products has a pretty good diagram with associated part #'s for the sunroof components.
I'd replace the seal at the same time since it will be apart.
Expect to pay ~$75 for each cable (REPLACE BOTH!) & another $40 or so for the seal.
This project is highlighted in "101 Projects" and there should be plenty of additiional info here if you do a search.
I would guess that a shop would charge ~$300 plus parts for a repair.
+++
Old 06-09-2005, 12:36 AM
BPBevins
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dan,

thanks for the info, the car is an 86. i have the 101 projects book, and the bentley manual, plus i dont mind working on small projects myself. will do some research on parts and get with you if i need the updated items.

thanks again
brandon
86 carrera
88 M3

Quick Reply: broken sunroof