Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

73 Carrera Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 02:16 PM
Doug Clauder
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 73 Carrera Questions

1) How many overall were sold in the US in 1973?
2) Did the stock 2.7 have twin ignition? If so, was it standard or optional?

Thanks,
Doug Clauder
Old 01-22-2002, 03:02 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Easiest way to tell if it's an actual Carrera RS is the VIN, which should begine with the numbers 911360XXXX... if it's authentic.
Old 01-22-2002, 03:09 PM
Doug Clauder
Intermediate

I'm more concerned with whether backdating my CIS 2.7 to 73 Carrera specs will be allowed in Solo II ASP. Perhaps I should have just asked that question directly (except for the RTFM commetns that would no doubt follow .

-Doug
Old 01-22-2002, 05:28 PM
rick cabell
Rennlist Member

There were no 73 Carrera 911s sold on the U.S. None were twin ignition.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:25 AM
Cary E
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think so, on ASP question.

If you read the first paragraph on page 98 of the Solo2 handbook. It calls out the car must have been sold new thru a US dealership. So any forward and back dating must come from what was delivered on a road legal US car. I don't think the RS was. And if it was, it probably wasn't road legal. Someone with more knowledge will need to jump in here.

The engine section also calls out that only standard pistons (US) can be used. Up to .0472 over.

Hope this helps.

I'm beyond help. My car is a 1977 Carrera 3.0. Federalized. So I'm an outcast also.
Throws me out of Street Prepared. So I'm going to F Prepared with the Big Dogs. Have no plans on trophys. LOL. Just seat time and having fun.

I've only gone twice, so by no means an expert. Just been doing a lot of research to spend my $$$$ wisely.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:15 PM
Doug Clauder
Intermediate

Cary,
Thanks for the additional information. It looks like the RS engine is definitely out for ASP. Just curious though, why not set up your 3.2 to qualify? It seems to me that this is the way to go in ASP.

-Doug
Old 01-25-2002, 11:13 AM
Cary E
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Because I going to put in a "short stack" of gears. ( not an available option ) For everyday fun. That pushed me over the edge.

Plus not being a US delivered car. If I became a "threat". The car would be blamed. Not worth the hassle. In my youth I crewed on an SCCA Pro Rally Team. When we went to Showroom Stock. I remember all the protests that were filed. Every little thing.

For me, the everyday fun is just as important as the auto cross set up. My mentor has reminded me of this many times ..... LOL ........
And over here. If you're not stock. You get lumped into a "big" prepared pot.
( All 6 of us )
Then there is a modified group. About 4 of them. So I'm ok with it.
But I hope to come to Bellingham and Portland to run a couple events. I'll get my a** waxed, but I'll get out of the car with a big smile.

Quick Reply: 73 Carrera Questions