Alternator Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 12:46 PM
UrbanSasquatch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Alternator Upgrade

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Finally had a breakthrough in my charging system woes.

Symptoms: Batteries going dead. 12v at battery with engine at 3000 rpm, alternator warning light would NOT light with ignition on. Verified current to bulb and continuity of circuit back to console, tested by jumping pin #11 of the 14 pin connector to ground= light illuminates.

Funny, I thought, someone must have retrofitted an internally regulated alternator to this car over the years, because there IS NO voltage regulator mounted on the console-- in it's place there's a tach adapter for the MSD unit. So I pulled the alternator, expecting to find the internally regulated version. . .

. . . except there was an externally regulated Motorola unit there. Replete with black wire running to the DF terminal on the brush holder. No WONDER my battery wouldn't charge, a critical component of the system is MISSING!

The absence of a voltage regulator made me suspect this possibility, so, I had ordered a NEW Valeo internally regulated alternator from the 84-89 Carrera, expecting to drop it in. Except that it's too thick, by about 3/4"-- and when the fan is mounted, the blades protrude about that distance from the edge of the fan shroud-- a safety issue to say nothing of making the belt fit.

So here's the QUESTION: Will an earlier, '82-'83 internally regulated alternator from an SC fit the housing of the earlier cars? This is a '71 E. Another way to get at this answer: has anybody with an '82-83 SC updated to the '84-'89 Carrera alternator for greater wattage? If someone has, and the later one fits, then that means it's the same size as the SC alternator and WONT fit my early car.

Thanks in advance for any advice-- I would prefer to go to the modern alternator rather than convert back to the externally regulated setup (even though it's probably $300 cheaper.)

John

' 71 E
'88 Carrera
Old 01-24-2002, 07:29 AM
saint
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi John, not sure how to answer your question. The fan ring of your '71 will have a part number starting 901 106 101 5R or something to that effect. It is the early ring. The Valeo alternator you ordered, is to fit a 930 ... ... .. ring. Even in the 930 style, there are 2 different depths that the alternator sits into the ring.

Go here, www.aasesales.com , there is a newer type of alternator and the application chart will help you in the selection.

Hope this helps.
Saint
Old 01-24-2002, 10:02 AM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It may also be possible for a bigger alternator to be installed if the mounting ring is machined to a deeper depth.

I did that on my 83 motor when I replaced my fan housing with an 80.

Quick Reply: Alternator Upgrade