Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

2.7 911 purchase & potential project car question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 10:16 PM
m-keith
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2.7 911 purchase & potential project car question

I started with the intention of purchasing a 944, but after getting approval from the finance committee (wife), I'm now after a 911. The car will be used as a weekend; track day; autocross car. It will not be a daily driver, nor will it be a garage queen.

Based on my budget, I had decided that a nice but not perfect SC with some miles on it would be the way to go. However, I'm seeing some good deals on the '74 to '77 cars. I'm aware of the problems with the 2.7 motor, & I assume this is why these cars command a lower price than an SC. I have also heard that there are updates that can be made to these motors to make them more durable. Would a 2.7 with the appropriate updates be suitable for my needs since my car will not be a daily driver? Bear in mind that I am in Houston, TX; so the car will see use in high temperature conditions.

There is also a project car that has my interest. I know that project cars are usually a bad idea, but I think this may have potential. I'd like to hear what all of you have to say. It is a '74 European model Targa with a '76 Carrera 3.0 motor. The car only has 3 small rust spots in non noticable areas, & the paint is in very good shape. The interior is complete & in very good shape with no cracks in the dash. However, the seats have been replaced with cheesy looking race seats. The targa top is in good shape except for one tear. The main problem is that the car has been sitting for over 5 years. The P/O drove it for a while then lost interest; so it sat in his garage for a long time. The current owner intended to put the car back on the road, but is too far into another project. He is asking $4800, but in his words, the price is "VERY negotiable." It has always been stored indoors.

I figure I would have to do the following to put the car back on the road:
-engine seals
-clutch
-repack CV joints
-replace wheel bearings
-all new brake compontents
-fuel lines, seals, & maybe pump & distributor (seller says tank is clean)
-plugs, wires, cap, rotor
-valve adjustment
-battery
-tires
-shocks, bushings, tie rod ends

Assuming the car is as represented & that the engine does well in a leak-down test, is this a viable project at any price? Also, what hidden problems might I find lurking once I have the car running?
Old 01-22-2002, 01:21 AM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds to me that you have a pretty good handle on a lot of the potential work to come. If you are a gambling man take a poke and best of luck with a fun sounding project.

If it were me I would stay away and spend a little more $$ and get something a little better off. A little rust might really be a lot of rust in hiding. Personally I would not like to work on some one elses transplant either, is it really a Euro, or a combination that works. In my opinion the project car is only for those with lots of cash and a real love for building a car piece by piece. If you want to own a car that is fun to drive, buy one that already drives!

Best of luck either way you go!!

Chris
Old 01-22-2002, 03:15 PM
911SOUK
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't buy a 2,7 911...save a little more money and get an SC. I bought a 2.7 when I was in college and had little knowledge of 911's. I still have the car, but it has costed me a lot of time and money. I've done a lot to it, and now it's a matter of pride and potential lost of investment that I stil have the car. I may sell it one day, but I wouldn't get a very good return on the time and money I've spent. Overall, it has been a great learning tool. I enjoy working on the car. If you're like me, a project car is a good idea, but get ready to drain your wallet. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:28 PM
Markus
5th Gear

2.7's can be just as good as 3.0's. By now most, if not all of them have been reworked. Yes they are cheaper than SC's and they are lighter and you can find a lot of coupes which are better for racing anyway, Targas DO FLEX.
They do have a problem with the rear flares,but a set of fiberglass SC's are easy too.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:26 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
2.7s show up a lot as first 911 purchases. They're affordable, after all, and there are a lot of them out there.

Unless you really enjoy working on the car, I'd get something that is ready to go. And for the track and autocrossing, I'd stick to a coupe. The 3-liter engine is known for its durability (head stud problems excepted), and having more room for tires in the back will save you from a big project welding on flares.

My opinions only, of course. Lots of guys love their 2.7s.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:08 AM
m-keith
Track Day

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to look at a 2.7 coupe tomorrow, & an SC on Friday. I'm leaning toward a 2.7 car because I prefer the style of the ealier cars as well as their more spartan equipment levels & lower prices. Another thing that has me leaning toward a 2.7 is the fact that I cannot find an SC coupe without a sunroof. The 2.7 I'm going to look at does not have a sunroof. At 6'2", I don't believe I can fit in a sunroof coupe with a racing helmet on. Can anyone contradict me on this? I'm bringing my helmet with me on both test drives. This should really freak the seller out.

Assuming that a 2.7 does not have documentation showing that it has the correct updates to address its shortcomings, would a PPI reveal whether or not the motor has been updated? On this same subject, even if a 2.7 has all the apprpriate updates, would an extremely hot climate such as we have here in Houston still prove to be too much for this motor? Anyone in a really hot & humid climate have a 2.7 living a long, healthy life?

Thanks again,
Old 01-24-2002, 12:35 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A PPI would certainly catch most of the modifications...time certs, studs, tensioners, valve covers, etc. Have'm pull the valve covers and check the head torque on ALL studs as well. (This will be additional $ for the time and new valve cover gaskets, but absolutly required to know on a 2.7)

An oil cooler will help. Check if it has one in front passenger side wheel well. The hoop cooler is a start, but not really adequate; however if all the plumbing is there(check to make sure it works by warming up the car to 185F or so and then touch the hoop. If its hot, it works, if not a new rear fender well thermostat is needed which is expensive and a PITA to replace.) its a relatively easy upgrade to a real heat exchanger available new and used starting at around 200 bucks.

You didn't say if the car has AC. (which didn't work very well anyway) In the case of 2.7 engine preservation, having no AC is a good thing, but having lived in Houston for a couple of years, a coupe without would be challenging.

Quick Reply: 2.7 911 purchase & potential project car question