Decisions Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Decisions Decisions

Help my indecisive friend decide which car to buy. Here's the details:

car 1 is an 82SC, 2nd exterior color choice, 3rd interior color choice, Fuchs would have to be painted a different color, owned by same person for many years and apparently very well taken care of with updated tensioners, oil cooler, and H4s. Age of current clutch unknown, no oil leaks. Low 90s mileage. This car does not have a whaletail which my friend wants and would hope to add later. Oil consumption not yet known.

Car 2 is an 87, 1st interior and exterior color choice with whaletail also with a long term owner, a new clutch, new front tires, turbo tie rods, new shocks, also no oil leaks ~105K miles. Oil consumption within normal limits. Car 2 is $1500 more than car 1.

Here's the problem; car 1 is 280 miles away and could be seen, bought, and driven home in a day while car 2 is 900 miles away and may have to be bought sight unseen (pending PPI) due to time constraints which would prohibit travel to view in person and he's just not sure if he can buy a car without seeing/driving it first. The real issue is that very few cars come up for sale in our area so there's always going to be some travel involved. Also, car 2 is at the very edge of the budget (assuming it can be talked down some) where car 1 would leave some $ leftover for whatever might come up.

I'm telling him that $1500 over the life of the car isn't that much and that he could easily spend that rebuilding the notoriously temperamental 915 tranny and could spend that much again getting a new clutch if it needs it. BUT, it's going to cost a lot more to get to car 2 to see it and even then he'll probably have to have it shipped back home since he doesn't have the time off from work to drive it the 900 miles himself.

Also, this car will be purely for fun, not a daily driver, and may come out once or twice a week. He'll be lucky if he puts 3K a year on it. In about 4 years he'll be making about 4X what he's making now and may turn this car into a track car after buying his ultimate dream, a 993.

Whatddya think? Isn't this fun?!

c
Old 05-30-2005, 08:14 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car # 2.

The right colors (you got to love to look at it . . .)
The right setup (whale tail is $800 - $1200 + paint)
Newer with 3.2 + Motronics.

But he will have to put some $s in . . .

Ian
Old 05-30-2005, 08:21 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would goi with the newer correct colored 87, 3.2, motonics ,etc. A tail alone will make up the $1500 difference.
regards,
Steve
Old 05-31-2005, 11:17 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have to say car #2 as well or wait it out for one that is what he wants that is closer to home. Get what you want or don't get it at all. Saves a bunch of hassle in the long run.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:16 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

IMHO this is an easy decision. $1,500 is a drop in the bucket over the life of the car. As far as the distance....Look, he is only buying the car once.... would he marry a girl because the happens to live a couple blocks closer?

Look, if he absolutely HAS to see the car, just make a 3-day road trip out of it.... most guys have a fantasy about this... iit will be a blast...it's just a state of mind.

If he absolutely cannot get there, face it, all Porsches look pretty much like all other Porsches. If the PPI comes out top notch, the car will look exactly like 5 other cars the same color that he has seen....he will not be disappointed.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:08 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on PPI, car No. 2, hands down. An 87 is much nicer car than SC. I have bought three cars sight unseen and never been disapointed after a successful PPI.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:38 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

87 is the best year for a 911 - but then again, I may be a little biased.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:19 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I can't believe this is really going to keep him awake for longer than it takes to roll over and smile.
Face it...
aside from the color and the tail that COULD be changed (although at SIGNIFICANT cost/effort!)
The 87 has a bigger, more powerful (more reliable?!) motor, a smoother shifting transmission, and it is only $1,500 more.
If he has cash in hand, that may turn into only $500-$900 more. Let's assume that both cars pass PPI with similar needs. Costs to repair them will be very comparable, if not identical.

Take a half day at work on a Friday, cough up the extra $$ and either take a rental car or whatever to go get the thing.
he will not be disappointed assuming it passes PPI.
+++
Old 06-01-2005, 09:43 AM
danoberer
Instructor

Car # 2, no doubt, pending the PPI.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:50 AM
H. Miller
Racer

I have a SC but would go with car #2. If PPI doesn't pan out, then go with #1.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:38 PM
marin77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car #2 without a doubt. Right color and configuration over the life of the car vs. $1,500 ... no brainer to me.

I bought an 87' sight unseen 2,000 miles from home (PPI in hand) BECAUSE it had the right color & configuration in addition to be in excellent shape (again, the PPI & history). In addition, I managed to take a week off to drive it back with my girlfriend (Houston to NYC) and we had one of our best vacations ever...without a single incident!

Good luck with the decision,

Quick Reply: Decisions Decisions