Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

info on 911 Carrera Club Sport (CS)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 11:34 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

So from what i have read here a CS is basically a lightened Carrera with some different fabric / stickers etc ?

Would that be the equivlent of an RSA in the 964 series ?

Just wondering as i really wasnt aware of this car till this thread .
Old 11-24-2013, 10:01 PM
silver69
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sports Car Illustrated featured an article about this car back in June '88.
The claimed 155-200 lb weight loss and a slightly higher revving 3.2.
Numbers were low according to them, 9 coming to the US, 50 total worldwide.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Art Caputo
Intermediate

I owned a 1989 of which only 8 were made. It was Grand Prix white with pinstrip seats. Paid 39k for it. Sold it in 2000 for 40K had about 35k miles, almost all autocross, some track. It was probably the finest 911 I have ever owned and could kick myself for selling it.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
So from what i have read here a CS is basically a lightened Carrera with some different fabric / stickers etc ?

Would that be the equivlent of an RSA in the 964 series ?

Just wondering as i really wasnt aware of this car till this thread .
On page 110 of the 8th Edition of my book I wrote;

"...that was called the Club Sport. This was a very interesting car, one that Porsche put on a diet, deleting the rear seats, power windows, radio, front fog lamps, power seats, A/C and a host of other items, ending up with a car that was 155 pounds lighter (plus undercoating - weight unknown) than the basic Carrera coupe. Combine the weight loss with hollow intake valves, and a special DME unit that allowed an additional 320 revs at the top end, and you have a car 0.2 seconds faster 0-60, and 0.5 seconds faster in the quarter mile, than the standard Carrera. This might not sound like much, but the difference in the sound and feel of the car is dramatic."

Nothing like a hot-rod 911!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Art Caputo
Intermediate

I agree. When I owned my Club Sport I also owned an 88 Carrera Coupe. There was clearly a difference in handling, sound, and response reminiscent of my early 70's 911S. It was a blast to drive I sold it when I got a 996 GT3, a move that I did regret in time.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann

"...that was called the Club Sport. This was a very interesting car, one that Porsche put on a diet, deleting the rear seats, power windows, radio, front fog lamps, power seats, A/C and a host of other items, ending up with a car that was 155 pounds lighter (plus undercoating - weight unknown) than the basic Carrera coupe. Combine the weight loss with hollow intake valves, and a special DME unit that allowed an additional 320 revs at the top end, and you have a car 0.2 seconds faster 0-60, and 0.5 seconds faster in the quarter mile, than the standard Carrera. This might not sound like much, but the difference in the sound and feel of the car is dramatic."

oops .. busted .. never read past SC .. as my descision was made..
Old 11-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
oops .. busted .. never read past SC .. as my descision was made..
LOL!!! Your assignment for Thanksgiving weekend is to open the book to page 99, pour your beverage of choice, and read...
Old 11-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann

So....Any idea where I got the inspiration for my current list of done's and to do's? I figure if it was good enough for the factory, it's good enough for me. OK, so I've gone a bit overboard in a few areas of weight loss. I actually told my wife that it is much easier to put the car on a diet than to put her on a diet. I'm still alive, so there must be some unseen protective bubble surrounding my skull.

Quick Reply: info on 911 Carrera Club Sport (CS)