Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

"New" Porsche finally here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Tango Foxtrot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was following your posts regarding the search for your 911. Congrats on the new purchase!! It is a real beauty!! Any interior photos??
Old 05-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations Mike!

Glad you found one- looks like a sweet ride.

Enjoy and keep us posted!

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:28 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Julia.....hmmm.....two porsche interesting thought! If we did not have a little one maybe, but the ML320 serves as the baby hauler and her vehicle!

The interior is a little on the rough side. There is a rip in the headliner and it needs a good cleaning. Planning on doing that this weekend. I need to figure out how to make the pictures from my camera smaller in terms of memory. Then I can post more pictures.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Julia
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Photoshop can do that if you have that software.

We do have a Honda CRV-it is the puppy and daughter hauler. See, if you downgrade to a Honda (great cars) your wife can get her own 911SC!!!! Mine is the councours car. I am putting it in a Wash & Shine on the 29th and then in the Shriner's Concours in June in the "Street" class for which I will be a maniac! I was just out looking at my oil tank thinking about how clean I want it to be. I'm nervous with electical parts so I am going to ask our mechanic a list of questions about what to touch and not to touch in the engine compartment.

Julia
Old 05-19-2005, 04:25 AM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Michael/Julia

Michael,
I can see why the excitement. I have always thought 911's looked bad in black. Welcome to 911's Anonymous. I am powerless over Porsches. And Julia, I have never seen a 911 in that color, is it factory? Wow.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:08 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

MP... couple of suggestions to improve the driving experience of these cars... FWIW....

First, turbo tie rod ends make a huge difference in steering accuracy on these cars for relatively little $$$... if your car still has the stock ends, they are probably due for replacement soon anyway

Second, you will probably need to build up your throttle pedal in order to heel and toe properly. You can buy a fancy drilled stell pedal, screw a second stock pedal on or I just tape a block of wood on with black racer tape.... but it does help driving.

Third, and this is very much a matter of taste, but I find a smaller wheel (like a 14 inch MOMO) provides better steering feel on these cars. The stock wheel is very large in order to accommodate drivers of varying strength.... but IMHO it reduces steering feel and responsiveness, which is a real strength in these cars... it will increase steering effort...especially in parking so be aware of that.

Finally, if you plan to do alot of night driving upgrading to H4 headlights really improves visibility as well as the appearance of the front end....
Old 05-19-2005, 11:15 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

I have the smaller Momo on mine, love it.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:50 AM
ChemMan
Pro

JCP, I have had some problems with shifting. Seems like the clutch is high and the rpms have to be high to get going. I thought this was normal. I plan on the turbo tie rod ends this summer.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:25 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

MP... you can adjust the clutch pedal down. THe car should have enough torque that you can let the clutch out completely without any throttle and it will go forward. If it stalls, you may need to adjust idle or something.

What kind of "problems" shifting? These cars are a bit trickier to shift than more modern 5-speed, but should be very effective once you get the hang of it..

1. THe bottom hinged pedals can feel a bit funny... but actually are better once you get used to them...

2. The 915 shift gate is inherently sloppy... just the nature of the linkage. You may want to double check your bushings, but it will never "snick snick" like a Honda or BMW.

Still they are quite effective if shifted properly...Here is the technique:

Shift with opened or gently cupped palm, and place your hand on the side of the **** opposite the gear you want (e.g. at 7:00 for 3rd, 11:00 for 4th, etc) and push toward a quadrent (upper right for 3rd, lower right for 4th etc). There is really not a classic "H" pattern on the 915 like you find in front engine cars... its more like an "X" pattern. THe upshift to 5th is exactly like the upshift to 3rd, but with distinct pressure to overcome the spring load. Cup the **** in your palm or between your thumb and first two fingers (depending on how long your arm is). Do not grip the **** tightly in your fist.... closing your fist locks the sensitive muscles in your hand and wrist and forces you to guide the lever with the large upper arm muscles... these are not accurate. You want to keep your wirst and hand muscsles loose and use them to guide the lever... they are much more accurate.

Once you are used to this, you can shift the 915 very quickly and never miss a shift... but it takes some practice. If you still have problems shifting, check your linkage for play, or you may have bad synchros (in which case $$$$$... sorry). Get somebody from the Porsche Club who is familiar with these cars to give you an opinion...

Personally, I am not a big fan of short-shift kits (factory or otherwise). Because the 915 shifter is a bit on the sloppy side, having fairly long throws makes it harder to get into the wrong gear, which in turn alows you to shift with more confidence (read more speed on the lever)... so it sort of nets to zero... in my book a long throw done confidently is quicker than a short throw done timidly...

Check to see if your car has a short-shift kit in it... if so, you may want to consider going back to factory... just a suggestion...
Old 05-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Julia
Instructor

der Mond,
Yes, "Skippy" is Cashmere Beige, color # 502. It was made 78-80. I think it's why the previous owner had a hard time selling it. The color was different at first and I almost didn't want it. Now, I am so glad I did. It is such a period color and very cool. There's not that many out there this color. His name is Skippy because he is the color of peanut butter!! Easiest way to discribe. He has chocolate brown leather interior with sport seats. Peanut butter/chocolate...maybe I should have anmed him Reece??

Julia
Old 05-19-2005, 01:29 PM
ChemMan
Pro

The problem has just been the clutch been high. I need to pay more attention going from 2 to 3. I have made it grind a couple of times. I am getting more used to it. I discovered yesterday that taking a turn at a decent speed can make the rear end swwing out.........but that was kind of fun.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:24 PM
markill
AutoX

Congrats, Im also a new owner (79 black on black SC w/a 3.2L conversion, looks just like yours). I have a great seller quote on a "perfect" car. When i started discussing PPI his response was "you seem way to detail oriented and i dont have time for that BS".
Old 05-23-2005, 08:48 PM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Skippy

Julia,
That's great, I just happen to love peanut butter and chocolate! No wonder the car appealed to me.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:47 PM
theclaw
Advanced

Another new '84 owner also. Blk/blk too. Welcome.

Julia,

Would you talk to my wife?

Jeff
Old 05-28-2005, 01:27 AM
Julia
Instructor

Sure I would Jeff. Send her my way, I'll turn her into a Porschefile! I just spent the better part of the day cleaning the interior. You think your car is clean until you REALY clean it! Now you could eat off the floor pans, spotless! Tomorrow is exterior day and then Sunday is the Wash & Shine Concours. If nothing else, I will learn what is wrong with my car to get it to perfection (as much as it can be) for the Shriner's Concours in June.

Quick Reply: "New" Porsche finally here!!!