Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

broken throttle cable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 11:02 PM
Kiwi01
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default broken throttle cable?

I have an 85 911 coupe that I am slowly learning how to work on. Today I had to have the car flat bedded home. I went to start the car and the gauges would light up but the engine would not turn. After opening the hood I discovered what I thought was a broken throttle cable. I have not been able to find anything that looks like it at Pelican. I see it in pictures in my Bentley but it is never referenced. The cable runs from the back of the left side of the engine compartment (it has a yellow plastic end piece here, that was broken) to the throttle lever (this connection was broken or lost). It is about 2.5 feet long.

My question is, what cable is it? Is there more to the problem than replacing the cable? Any help would be appreciated?
Old 05-14-2005, 11:20 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what cable you are talking about but I would assume that your car should start without the throttle cable being connected.
What do you mean it wouldn't turn.
If it wouldn't turn over at all then you have a problem in the starter/battery/charging stuff.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:06 AM
Kiwi01
Rennlist Member

Maybe ... but all fuses were ok. The radio works, the warning lights work but nothing when I turn the key all the way. I had driven the car earlier without any problems. I parked it, went into a store and came out 30 min later and just the lights, I can hear the fuel pump, but no starter. It has me stumped for tonight, I will check more tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:40 PM
CDiercks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your stock 85 Carrera doesn't have a throttle cable, it has a series of rods that connect the gas pedal to the throttle body. looking at the engine in the car, you cannot see the rods. There is a cruise control cable that connects to the throttle body that is visible while looking at the engine inside the car.

It sounds like your problem is a starter, or the starter solenoid (Sp?) Try tapping on the solenoid with a hammer and see if it will start.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Kiwi01
Rennlist Member

Thanks CDirecks ... it is the cruise control cable that was broken. I am loearning something every day ... I will be troublshooting the starter etc. this afternoon.

Quick Reply: broken throttle cable?