Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911/930 A/C upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 05:25 PM
senna21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 911/930 A/C upgrade

So, I've don’t the prerequisite search and didn't come up with anything. I might have use the wrong search parameters though...

I know 911/930 A/C systems leave a bit to be desired. But, I own a mid engine car and the system works wonderfully. I also know many a Ferrari 308 owner who've make some slight upgrades to their systems (point is late 70 early 80s technology) and they stay nice and cool. 993 owners don't seem to complain too much.

So, I know the A/C condenser is in the engine bay along with the compressor and the condenser isn't as large as most or gets as good of air flow. But, has anyone fitted a SPAL fan to it for stop and go driving? I'm assuming this is the weak link. If not please educate me.

When did the 911 become a "cool customer?" What were the changes made and can these changes be made to upgrade the older cars?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:33 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Unfortunately things didn't get better regarding A/C until 964 production. Nothing can be retrofitted to older models. The 1986 - '89 3.2 cars weren't bad due to larger outlet vents, but '85 and earlier cars just can't move enough volume. Did you know that there is a second condenser mounted under the nose of '89 and earlier cars, which has its own fan? So much has been tried, but for system improvement you should call Performance Aire in Anaheim. Roger is the guru for getting the most from early A/C, but even then it won't keep up with a 100 + degree day in the Valley.
Pete
Old 05-11-2005, 08:59 PM
hoosierdaddy
Intermediate

Talk to these people www.procooler.com
Old 05-13-2005, 06:48 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We start with the premise that Porsche 911 a/c has never been great. Period!

1. If you have a non-turbo 911, there's isn't much room for a spal fan. I've been told, but have no personal experience, that there's room for one under a whale-tail, or something similar. But, you have to ask yourself what a Spal fan will do that the big fan on the back of the engine isn't doing.

2. Your post doesn't say what year you have. The pre-84 cars had a York compressor. They're junk, by all accounts. Many people replace them with a Nippondenso, Sanden, or Seiko. www.vertexauto.com sells a Sanden compressor with a new bracket for the pre-84 cars.

3. If the hoses are original, replace them. The old hoses were designed to leak. Put in what are known as "barrier hoses." You can get a set for $369 at www.rennaire.com.

4. Run R-12, if you can.

5. The more condenser surface, the better. I installed an auxilary condenser/fan assembly in the front left fender of my 84. I also installed a ProCooler (same company as Rennaire). I'm getting vent temps in the mid-30s.

Good luck. Let us know what you do.

Scott
Old 05-13-2005, 10:18 PM
dharris
8th Gear

These people claim to have an upgrade that really works, with supplementary condensors in the rear wheel well. http://www.griffiths.com/porsche

Has anybody got any feedback on their gear?

Denze
Old 05-14-2005, 04:11 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dharris
Has anybody got any feedback on their gear?
Top notch, but very spendy.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Mysterytrain
Intermediate

Yup, big bucks and they are not very flexible...they want to sell you the complete package. There are posts on the Pelican site about using a C2 condensor up under the left front wheel well, another post with a generic condensor in the rear wheelwell like Griffith's does. There are also reports of stock systems that have been tweeked to perform much better, of course they all have a compressor and hose upgrade. One area that has always puzzled me is the return air duct in the drivers footwell area. There is a large 3 or 4" duct that tunnels from the evaporator to the opening behind the gas pedal. Throw some carpeting on the floor boards and this duct is all but sealed and starving the evaporator of return air -except for what it is sucking up from behind the passenger side floorboard. I've often wondered why that drivers side duct didn't run down thru the tunnel to intake vents under the seats.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:02 PM
gecc
Advanced

I've used Griffiths System on several customer cars with excellent results. The kit is pricey, but
it lacks nothing. The kit is well thought out and the instructions are excellent. For my personal SC I plan to use the additional side vents and upgrade the blower to the '86 and later blower. With out the later blower the additional side vents would not be very effective
Old 05-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gecc
For my personal SC I plan to use the additional side vents and upgrade the blower to the '86 and later blower. With out the later blower the additional side vents would not be very effective
I didn't know the later blower was different. Does it throw more air?
TIA
Old 05-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Additional side vents??????
Old 05-17-2005, 11:17 PM
gecc
Advanced

Starting in '86 the cars got larger side a/c vents. The blower has a larger motor and fan(the treasure
chest door has a "power bulge"). Griffiths offers a vent that mounts over the console and two that mount under the dash on each side below the slit vent. I don't think that the stock pre '86 blower would flow enough to make the vents effective.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:53 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Here is the improved venting

http://www.griffiths.com/porsche/ac/...html#Kuehlvent
Old 06-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Ducboy
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK,

Here is what I am doing, or in the process of doing. I haven't had A/C in my car for the last 8 years. I have owned the car for ten.

The system will be totally worked over.
From Performance Aire I have ordered the 3 pass rear condenser and a brand new oem front condenser.

I ordered from Ron Maxwell, (Rennaire), barrier hoses, incresed surface area evaporator, and a procooler. Procooler is really a subcooler, (large refrigeration machines will call this the "economizer"

I will be ordering a seiko compressor from Performance Aire.

I searched high and low to source a 30 lb cyclinder of r12. Even with my universal cert it was hard to come by at a reasonable price.

I expect I will be blowing in the mid to upper 30's when properly charge.
I hope to have this together within the next month so maybe I can report on the results.

Regards,
Ed A.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:56 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Lets ask a potetially silly question....
Instead of buying a high priced non-oem vent that essentially extends the footwell outlet to the front edge of the dash, why not seal it off to increase the volume of air that is pushed out through the stock dash vent?
Even if this doesn't lower the temp of the outgoing air, it should increase the velocity of it enough that it can be felt.
Just a thought that I might try out myself.
+++
Old 06-16-2005, 08:39 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default blocking off vent

Dan,

You have asked the logical question, "why not simply remove the bow tie".

Many 911 and 930 owners have either removed the "bow tie" deflector for the lower ac outlet, or they have tried blocking it off. When you remove the bow tie more air moves into the car, but it is non-directional, some of the air hits the top of the center console and some is deflected toward the sides.

When you block off the lower ac outlet you will increase the volume of air from the side vents however not drastically.

The purpose of the center Kuehl Vent is to give you more directional air.
The vent has an adjustable louver which allows you to direct the air flow.

Is it OEM ? No. Any change you make using a part that does not come in an OEM box or is not from the OE's supplier..... is non-OE. You would be suprised at how many OEM's take design improvements from users and incorporate them into their new models.

Is it expensive? That is all in the eyes of the beholder. If your free time is not worth much. If you have the time to source parts. The time to do the design and construction of a reasonable improvement. Well, then yes the product will be expensive in your eyes. However most of our customers agree that the product is fully functional, is well constructed and actually appears to be an "OE" improvement.

Regards,
Griff

Quick Reply: 911/930 A/C upgrade