Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Poor brakes on 911

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 12:12 PM
IanCas
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor brakes on 911

I have only recently joined the 911 ownership world and have a question about how the brakes should feel.

The brakes on my 911 Carrera Targa feel like they are not assisted (they are) and require much more peddle pressure than most other cars I've driven (new and old). They are not particularly inspiring either.

Would this be normal?

If not - what should I check?

Does the brake assistance unit get powered by manifold vacum as on most other cars?

Thanks for your help

Ian
Old 05-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Ian:

What do you have for brake pads?
Old 05-06-2005, 02:04 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Brakes on Carrara may require a bit more effort than the typical street car but it shouldn't be much more... although they are designed for "feel" and so won't stand the car on its nose just by laying a toe on the pedal. Brakes are a strong point on these cars... at least relative to other cars of the era and certainly can hold there own with modern cars.

I suspect you have a brake problem.

Are they locking up prematurely or just not stopping?

First, replace the brake fluid with top quality fluid and powerbleed them. Second check the pads. They should have at least Porsche OEM pads or better, and be no more than 1/2 worn. If you do use performance pads, make sure you are using a street compound... not a full racing compound. Third, check the rotors... if they have a distinct "lip" around the edge, are full of ripples, and/or warped, they will reduce braking power. Fourth, check the rubber brake hoses. If they are fatigued, they will not give you full pressure.

IF all this checks out, you may need the calipers and/or master cylinder rebuilt.... this is not terribly expensive.

Full boat all this above work will probably leave you with little change left from $1,000 (unless you do the work yourself), but you should have brakes that make you take notice.

Finally, if you have the brakes right, the tires must also be in good shape... worn, crappy tires will diminish the power and controlability of even the best brakes.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:24 PM
IanCas
AutoX

Steve - I do't know what pads are in the car - I'll check tonight when I get home.
JCP - Just not stopping. Feels a bit like braking in a car with power brakes and the engine switched off. It takes a lot of pressure to lock it up and then only in the wet

The rotors are in good conditon as are the rubber pipes. There are no leaks and none of the wheels are binding (sticking calipers).

I notice you don't mention the power assistance unit in the list of things to rebuild. Is it p
Old 05-06-2005, 03:00 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Ian:

Pads make a HUGE difference in both pedal feel and friction so thats the very first place to begin.

Once I know what you have, I'll be able to help,.....
Old 05-06-2005, 03:50 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ian... certainly the assist could be faulty, but if you leg them enough, you should be able to get some lock-up in the dry if everything else is fine... anyway Steve W is the man.... he'll get you straightened out...
Old 05-06-2005, 06:19 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

To start off the betting pool, I will ante up that a PO put race pads in there...
Old 05-06-2005, 07:57 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Or those damned Metalmasters,...
Old 05-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Marty916
Instructor

I have a similar situation with my 87. The brakes work but need a fair amount of pedal pressure but stop ok once heated. I know for sure it's the pads. I recently changed my worn pads to some cheapos and noticed immediately that they didn't respond like the pads originally installed. These replacement pads also suck when wet. Initial pedal pressure produces no retardation whatsoever for the first few yards. Interesting to say the least. Needless to say, they will be removed and replaced shortly. That's what I get for trying to save a few bucks.....
Old 05-06-2005, 09:40 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Marty916
That's what I get for trying to save a few bucks.....

Marty,...............Thats such a familar tale,.....

Even after doing this for 30+ years, I am still surprised at how many people buy things with their wallets and not with their minds,....
Old 05-06-2005, 10:20 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve, can you recommend your pick for stock carrera brakes, are there some that don't put out as much dust as pagid blues?
guilty as charged with the wallet. My brakes suck now
Old 05-07-2005, 02:53 AM
Marty916
Instructor

Steve,
You are so right. Unfortunately I have to put my family first on the list as far as expenditures which occasionally leaves me with less cash than I'd like when it comes to parts for the car and my bikes. Hence the periodic need for el cheapo components. Once I get the bank robbery thing fully sorted out, I won't have this issue to deal with.....;-). I remember when I was young and had nothing more to worry about than where to find all those cool go fast goodies. Ahhh....the good old days.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:49 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by J. Brinkley
Steve, can you recommend your pick for stock carrera brakes, are there some that don't put out as much dust as pagid blues?
guilty as charged with the wallet. My brakes suck now
The choice of brake pads is truly dependent on what you use the car for and how hard you push it. There are no such things as street AND track pads as optimal performance in each regime is mutually exclusive. I have plenty of folks who use track pads all the time, but they are noisy and don't generate much grip until warmed up.

That first stop of the day can be a sphincter-tightener.

I like either Mintex "red box" or Ferodo 3410 pads for street use and hard driving but use one of the Pagid pads (orange or black) for DE events.

Marty:

I can fully appreciate the dilemma of different priorities and finite resources. Unfortunately, its always a situation of one never having the money to something right, but always finding the money to do it all over again. Thats not economical, IMHO,.....

Ahhh, the good old days. I'm old enough to remember .49/gallon premium gas and driving all night for a 5 dollar bill. I don't do firearms any longer but I drive a mean getaway car,....
Old 05-07-2005, 10:31 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

thanks Steve
Old 05-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Marty916
Instructor

Steve,
Your getaway driving skills may come in handy. I can handle the weapons part. I'll certainly keep you in mind! While we are on the subject of brakes, are there any caliper upgrades available for the 87-89 Carreras such as more effective calipers from a different model or is a pad/fluid replacement all that's required? I wouldn't mind upgrading beyond just pads if the results are worthwhile(and I can justify the cost to my wife). Thanks!

Quick Reply: Poor brakes on 911