Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1984 carrera. is a dual outlet muffler add power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 12:41 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1984 carrera. is a dual outlet muffler add power?

i have a stock carrera with a cat bypass pipe and have read the virtues of a dual outlet muffler by B&B, but for a grand or so i cannot afford it. it there a way to make my single outlet muffler a dual outlet? if so how and is there any gain?

thanks in advance
conrad in PHX
Old 01-20-2002, 03:05 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Conrad,

A couple of things to keep in mind when considering a dual outlet sport muffler. First, they will be louder than stock. I don't know your tolerance for noise; it helps to actually hear them before buying. Second, a dual outlet muffler on a Carrera may require you to modify (cut) the lower rear valance.

Here's what I did. I have a cat by-pass pipe with a Danske SS Sport muffler (3.5" single outlet). Gives me a little louder sound and good performance (car revs much quicker). No cutting required and it fits into the existing mounting straps. Cost was under $600.

Bruce
Old 01-22-2002, 02:26 AM
Hugh
Advanced

I have a dual outlet B&B on my '84 Carrera. Consideration #1: It is loud as all hell. My wife, neighbors and dog are not pleased. The sound is very bass-heavy. You don't hear much of that flat six whine we all like. And every idiot on the street wants to race. Consideration #2: the car is much faster. But I did other stuff to it as well - cams, lighter clutch.. things that might even rationalize the high rpm flow I get from this thing. But if you haven't done stuff like that, I'm pretty sure the B&B is overkill. I think Dansk makes a dual outlet that isn't so loud. It's even a little cheaper. If I had this to do over again, that's what I'd do.

Cheers,
Old 01-22-2002, 05:45 AM
Steve W
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 40 Posts

have you read the following thread?:
<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/scripts/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001812" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/scripts/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001812 </a>

Bruce Anderson performed dyno tests on the power differences between SSIs with a dual outlet sport muffler, and just the stock exhaust with a euro premuffler instead of a cat, and the stock muffler with just a second outlet added to the right side. The test were performed on an '88 Carrera, and both systems produced almost similar gains except in the midrange where the SSIs had a slight advantage. While a dual outlet sport muffler on SSIs can be pretty loud, the added outlet on a stock 84-89 muffler is not all that loud. A euro premuffler is needed to gain all the power you can get, for a cat bypass pipe will not do much. Examine the following dyno graph for the power differences. It was scanned from an 94 issue of Excellence Tech Notes. If anyone is interested in the full scan of the article, just let me know.

Probably the cleanest way to perform this modification is to buy a stainless steel mandrel bent 2 1/4" J pipe from <a href="http://www.jegs.com" target="_blank">Jegs.com</a>, and have a welder TIG weld a section cut from the J pipe on the right side. A hole must be cut out approximately the diameter of the pipe. You can purchase an original black Porsche exhaust tip to slip over the end for a perfect symetrical look. The pipe end will have to be swaged open a bit for it to fit, because the tip is made for the original 2 3/8" diameter. You will then need to cut out the appropriate opening on the right side of the valance for the tip, and paint the cut edge with some touch up paint. I can't imagine all this should cost you more than a couple of hundred dollars.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:16 PM
JDaniel
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2 cents...

1) Don't waste your money on a dual outlet exhaust if all you want is more power. You'll be sadly disappointed. There are real gains to be had with a better exhaust, but you also need to do a lot of other things to the motor/intake to see them. At that point SSI's, or equal length headers are the way to go. Do some research in the Rennlist archives and the archives at http://www/pelicanparts.com before you decide.

2) IF you ingnore the above ranting, then the DIY or Dansk appears to be a good alternative to the stock banana. Not too loud, not too expensive.

3) I have a GHL dual out, single in. and I didn't pay anywhere near $1,000 for it. Call up imagine auto... hint hint

YMMV,
Dan
Old 01-22-2002, 02:19 PM
JDaniel
Advanced

oops
Old 01-22-2002, 02:40 PM
87slant-nose-cabriolet
Instructor

DON,T FORGET THE LEAST EXPENSIVE BURSCH
AS A GOOD ALTERNATIVE. MAKES POWER AND
HAS A MELLOW SOUND.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:57 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Here's a thread you might find helpful:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...threadid=55444
Old 01-23-2002, 09:24 PM
SuperCarrera
Advanced

Dan (and others),

How would you rate the sound quality comparing the Danske, the DIY, and the GHL mufflers? I know that this issue is somewhat "subjective" but if all three are similar in performnce gain, which would be considered to have the most consistent, pleasing exhaust tone?

I would describe a good exhaust tone as one that may be just a little louder than stock at idle and low rpm driving and then respond with a quality roar when under mid to heavy acceleration (with no rpm based resonance issues inside the car).
Old 01-23-2002, 09:27 PM
SuperCarrera
Advanced

One additional question -- does anyone here have experience with the (possibly older) Andial stainless steel single inlet, dual outlet muffler?

Thanks...
Old 01-23-2002, 11:57 PM
JDaniel
Advanced

Cool

My GHL single in, dual out, with a cat-bypass pipe is a LOT louder than stock. It doesn't set off other car alarms, but the pleasant 911 fan sound is completely gone. At idle I'd describe the sound as "cris-craft" Like a motorboat just idling at the dock. Under load the sound is great, but pretty loud. There's also an annoying droning/resonance at 2,500-3,500 rpm.
I think a single out would reduce the dbs and leave the car with an aggressive, yet less attention drawing, exhaust note.
It sounds like my old 327 camaro now...

Dan

PS. The craftmanship is beautiful, and I like the adjustable/replaceable tips.

Quick Reply: 1984 carrera. is a dual outlet muffler add power?