Houston, TX Mechanic / Machine Shop..

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 06:58 PM
oatwillie
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so I took my car to Modern Aircooled.
Having done so, my impression is :

Lot's of promises made, short on delivery.
Actually it's a little worse than that.

contact me directly for more details but color me significantly less than impressed.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:35 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The earlier post in this thread is the correct one.

Go to Rennsport in Sealy. Unfortunately Mike Callas passed, but Warren there will take excellent care of you. That shop has been around since 1978....and Mike was working on Porsches long before that.

http://www.rennsportporscheworks.com/
Old 11-06-2017, 02:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,131 Likes on 809 Posts

good to see a 12 year old thread is still helping people out though
Old 11-08-2017, 06:58 AM
Exotisch
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently Enar's is THE place and if dig for info on Enar he is widely regarded as the regional expert. I have not yet taken my car there but may. He is geographically undesirable for me however. There is a mechanic that knows Porsche's cold at DriversSource as well I have heard. I'll likely try them next. My past experience with ModernA has been lackluster at best.

http://www.einarsgarage.com/

Last edited by Exotisch; 11-08-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:50 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by oatwillie
so I took my car to Modern Aircooled.
Having done so, my impression is :

Lot's of promises made, short on delivery.
Actually it's a little worse than that.

contact me directly for more details but color me significantly less than impressed.
Not to be harsh, but the website screams to me: "Porsche-ing for Millennials".... Just add plaid and beards.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:53 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by RDM2418
I use Porsche North Houston. They are currently rebuilding the engine in my 911T. They have a new classic service department with techs with factory training/factory parts. When I went over there, they had a 911TT taken apart. Some photos of my engine they sent me today.

I've used some of the independent shops before and am happy to make the drive out to PNH and get it done right. I think it's cheaper in the long run. My 2 cents.
This is the correct answer now that Sam and Pro Technik have been out of business for a while. My 0.02 having been around for a while. I would go straight to Porsche North Houston. I have seen their set up and work there and its first class all the way.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:52 AM
Highpox1
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My two cents- went to Modern AC last spring for a problem solve and repair- Enthusiastic yes- able to deliver- no. Could not solve the problem, and did accomplish a repair quoted for one day, ended up being a week. Broke a part, had to come back a week later to finish. Tried them again in August for previous issue- too busy sorry try next month. Called in September, sorry. PIWIS broken. Called in October and then in November, left messages and emails, no response. Nothing- If they are that busy then someone has their car there, but they may be waiting for the one day repair that’s taking weeks?
Old 11-16-2017, 10:43 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

A strong social media and web presence doesn't not make up for decades of experience.....

Seeing this phenomenon everywhere.

Last edited by Super90; 12-09-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:51 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 781 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by oatwillie
Thanks for the tip.

Called Modern midday yesterday and left a message, they have yet to reply.
Called again today, no answer on the phone. Flooded ? Too Busy?
Emailed them just now, we'll see.
Not promising on first impressions.
Ok time to speak up and I'll keep it to the facts leaving out opinion. I had a really beyond bad experience with Modern Airworks this year - many issues included forgetting to torque axels which caused the bolts to back out and I almost lost axels, throttle link installed upside down limiting throttle opening and mis routing the clutch cable which caused it to bind and never fully disengage, several hose clamps on fuel lines not tightened etc. I had Eric at Euro Car Werks fix issues that MA caused and they have been great. I wouldn't take my Porsche to Modern ever again. I addressed it with MA and looked for refund on the cost to correct the butcher job they did that Euro Car Werks fixed and initially they (MA) was willing to work with me to be fair and I was encouraged. Since then they have gone dark on me..... Also they (MA) asked me to prepay for the work (50%) which I did. Thought this was unusual as I have never been asked to do that before. Not impressed at all.

Quick Reply: Houston, TX Mechanic / Machine Shop..