Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Sunroof warped?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 07:53 AM
Dave in Clarkston
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof warped?

I purchased an 87 last month and have been going through the car getting all of the general maint items up to date. One thing I noticed is a couple of scratches in the sunroof panel so I had it inspected and was told it was not just a simple adjustment as I had thought it would be. I have been told that the panel is warped (how, I have no idea) and will need to be removed and adjusted (bent) back into alignment. I was told that it could take several attempts to remove and refit the panel as it is adjusted back to its original configuration. I was quoted up to $1,000.

Anyone had this occur or have heard of such a thing?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Replacing the panel and repainting it if necessary would be a less expensive option, but no, I have never heard of a warped panel. (ANYTHING is possible though)
+++
Old 04-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Dave in Clarkston
Intermediate

Dan,

I guess that replacing the panel would work except that the car has original paint (less one frt fender that was painted 10+years ago) and I worry about matching the replaced panel with the rest of the car. I'll check with some people that paint and see what they think.

Thanks for the idea.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:28 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Dave: Get another opinion!!! Sunroof panels get scratched when a cable breaks and the roof panel gets out of alignment. The owner continues to use the roof with a "hand-assist" and the next thing you know the paint is scratched. I would bet a lot of money that the panel is not warped...
Pete

Quick Reply: Sunroof warped?