Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 07:59 PM
clesiemo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Shocks

Black on Black 87 911 Carrera with the whale tail...beautiful car 156,000 miles

tackling the rear shocks...
Started out heard a "clinking" noise" sounds like washers clinking together. Isolated the noise to the right rear shock. Thanks to bentley manual, 101 projects book, rennlist managed to figure out how to get it off. A lot easier with the air box out, although I haven't tried to put the air box back in yet.

Took it off and definitely something wrong with it. Sounds like some washers are loose at the top end inside the housing. If I compress it by hand it does rebound slowly...so I don't know what's wrong with it, but doesn't sound good. I think it is original Boge shock with 156,000 miles on it, probably pretty shot at this point. Identification on the shock:

6R8
1-0201-32-250-B
BOGE
Made in Germany
911 333 051 07
Do Not Open
Gas Pressure

Questions for all you experienced Porsche owners (my first one, had it a year now)???? Don't want to spend thousands though.

1) Sounds like from searching previous posts that Bilstein Sports on the back and HDs on the front is the way to go.

2) What else should I do while I'm in there. I'm a couple times a week street driver. Eventually would like to take it on the track, just to see what it can do, but not looking to race it regularly. Don't mind a stiff ride. Reading a lot online about A arms, torsion bars, sway bars, yada, yada, yada. I'm fairly handy with a wrench, leave the hardcore stuff like allignment to the pros.

3) Strut tower brace in the front on top of the struts worthwhile upgrade?

4) Can I just do the rear shocks and worry about the fronts later? (I just had an allignment done a year ago and doing the fronts will mean I have to pay for another).

I'll post pics later, can't figure out how to resize them, too big to post right now.

Appreciate any comments and advice. Really cool to have a resource like Rennlist to get advice from other Porsche owners.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:24 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much ancillary work you can do if you're just doing the rear shocks. They pretty much come out without having to mess with anything else. If you want something (relatively low cost) to do for a little suspension performance upgrade, consider lowering the car to euro specs.

Brett

Last edited by Bill Gregory; 04-17-2005 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:02 AM
clesiemo
AutoX

Thanks! Put it back together so it's drivable, now have to get on shox.com and get new rears. I've been wanting to lower it to euro specs, so now is the time to do it.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:45 AM
Gost
Instructor

Sounds like a nice ride, good luck with her. When I bought my 85 Cab 7 yrs ago it had the orig Boge shocks on all 4's at 103K. I put a complete set of adjustable Koni's on her and man do I love them. You can adjust the fronts for street or track simply by twisting the **** on top of the shock and the rears you just unbolt the bottom and twist. 4 settings on each. My buddies can't believe how well the car handles, "like it's on rails" they all say. I've never driven another Porsche hard to compare but do hear that Bilsteins are top notch as well. You could do the rears alone absolutely but you will always be wondering how much nicer the car would handle if you did them all so if dollars are not the problem just do it. My shocks ran me $550 plus install for $80 7 yrs ago. Not cheap but what a difference. I understand that putting in 22mm torsion bars up front are the way to go and stike a nice balance between street and track. Strut brace is cheap enough to do and a DIY item so go ahead. Can't reccommend a brand as I have not gotten into that yet but take a look at the archives for info on that. Make sure the car has the regular maintenance performed, valve adj, wheel bearings checked etc especially with your mileage. Have a blast!
Old 04-20-2005, 12:33 AM
mschafer71
Instructor

Do the fronts also, I used shox.com for great prices and service about a year ago. HD fronts and Sport rears, now I am set to do the bushings to complement the great damping from the bilsteins.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:21 PM
RC_Targa
Track Day

What if you put Sport Bilstein's in the front, will the ride be THAT much different when compared to HD Bilstein's?
Old 05-05-2005, 02:17 AM
afinepoint
Racer

I'd like to know the answer to that too. I had planned to go Bilstein sport all around.

Reg
84 Targa
Old 05-07-2005, 03:15 PM
mschafer71
Instructor

if i could go again i would opt for the sport on the front, i like the stiffer ride and the hd's are'nt harsh at all.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:10 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shocks should match spring rates. I worked with Steve Weiner from Rennsport Systems when I did my suspension, and I ended up with 22mm F torsions and 28mm R torsions, with Bilstein HDs in front and Bilstein Sports in the back. I initially had HDs all around (they were on the car with less than 5K on them) when I changed the torsions, and the rear really felt wrong. I changed the rears to sports and the new suspension really came to life. The sports also are somewhat shorter, helpful if your car is lowered.

Shox.com might be cheaper, but I prefer buying from Steve at Rennsport since he spent countless collective hours discussing goals for the driver, the car, and even installation tips. The man is an expert, always has the time to talk, and I'll pay for that service any day. Besides, in the end of the day all of the prices were competitive.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:14 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Well said.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:30 AM
clesiemo
AutoX

Thanks for all the info! Now I just need to go buy them and put em on.

Quick Reply: Rear Shocks