Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

First gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 12:02 AM
Mark H
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post First gear

Recently purchased a '86 3.2, nice paint, mint interior and runs awesome. Had a PPI completed before the buy and found that the only problem was when down shifting to first gear there seems to be no syncro ( grinds everytime unless your at a full stop or to add rpms while downshifting).
Bought the car anyway with a price reduction for a possible trans rebuild ....
Question - is it possible to adjust the shift coupler and or replace the shifter bushings and or adjust the clutch cable with a swepco fluid replacement with my fingers crossed as I may not have to do a rebuild ?
Every other gear change up or down is really smooth for the 915, with no binding, grinding or fuss !
Reverse is almost instant, no wait time to mesh, really hate to drop and roll the trans as the car otherwise shifts awesome and the clutch is tight.
Anyone, Please
Old 11-12-2002, 12:15 AM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mark,
If it grinds and you cannot down shift into 1st without stopping, I'll bet my last dollar the dog teeth (syncro hub) is shot. During the PPI, the mechanic should have been able to tell you for sure. There is really no way to tell all the damage and what needs replacing until you have her opened up. I had the same issue with mine. She up shifted and down shifted perfectly except going down into 1st and felt very tight with no binding or baulky shifting. I thought all I needed was the 1st gear dog teeth replaced. I'm now into the rebuild about $3500. Maybe you'll be luckier than I was.

Regards,
Jim
'86 911
Old 11-12-2002, 12:51 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1st gear syncro teeth, operating sleeve, and syncro can be replaced fairly cheaply, if that's all that's wrong with the trans. with the engine and trans out on a jack, the trans end cover and intermediate housing are removed, and by pulling off the bearing on the end of both shafts, 1st can be removed from the end of the pinion shaft. the op sleeve then slides off with the fork, after the fork bolt is removed. the rest of the trans stays together.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:40 AM
Mark H
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Jim and John for the info, will be seeing a recommended shop next week for a diag. and wiil post the good or bad news, Thanks Again!

Quick Reply: First gear