Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

These cars MUST be tough

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 07:55 PM
Fassi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post These cars MUST be tough

A friend in OHIO had a pizza delivered from a driver using a 1988 Targa. Can you believe it? The guy uses it every day to deliver food. Unbelieveable to me considering the little things that always seem to go wrong with mine.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:59 PM
JonM..
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You must not drive it enough. The more you drive, the more reliable.
Old 03-18-2002, 08:15 PM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive my '88 Carrera targa every day rain or shine, and would drive it even if it snowed, not bloody likely here in Houston. I put oil and gas in mine, and fix little things when they come up. I have some things that I would like to do to freshen things up, but nothing urgent. I've put about 25-30K miles on in the last 1.5 years.
It's all about maintenance and regular use. Not that my maintenance is extensive, but looking at the receipts from the PO he would take the car to the shop and tell them to fix anything that needed fixing and then just pay the bill.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:35 PM
BlueMax
Intermediate

Talking

Steve,

And I thought I was odd driving mine almost daily. Matter of fact, whenever I'm not driving it I have withdrawal symptoms. It's not often but sometimes need a 4 seater. My car has been extremely reliable.
When I lived in the NE, I used to drive my Porsche in the snow. They are made for it with the weight on the driven wheels. It's a blast.

BTW, I'm in NW Houston. Going to the club race this weekend?

Paul
Old 03-19-2002, 03:44 PM
pbs911
Instructor

<strong>You must not drive it enough. The more you drive, the more reliable.</strong>

I have to agree. Is it me, or does it seem that there are plenty of daily drivers that are driven hard and have over 150K miles with no problems. it seems that the more these cars sit, the more problems develope. It's for this reason I have reservations of very low mileage 20+ year old cars as daily drivers.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:34 PM
gerry100
Pro

I agree with pbs911, when I was looking last year the first two cars I tested were SC's, one had 43K the other 156K, guess which one drove better.

The 43K car had leaks under the engine,stiff shocks, speedo didn't work without a tap etc..

The 156K car ran and looked like a dream.

(both were overpriced so I moved on).
Old 03-20-2002, 04:44 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts
Seems to me that 911s are like boats. The more they sit and the less they are used, the more problems they have. I bought my 84 from a guy who used it as a daily driver and his job required him to spend a lot of time on I-95 between Richmond and north New Jersey. It had 150K miles on it (without a rebuild) when I bought it. I turned it into a racecar, plus I ride the subway to work, so I don't drive is as much as he did. It's now got 166K on the clock and is still going strong and still no rebuild. About 70% of the miles I've put on it are track miles. It seeps a little oil around the head on the driver's side when driven hard at the track, but doesn't leave a mark in the garage when it sits. It doesn't even seep when driven on the street.

Other than oil changes,two valve adjustments, and replacing the intake gaskets (it had an intake leak when I bought it), I haven't done anything to it other than all the elective track mods and the track maintenance. GREAT CAR!
Old 03-21-2002, 10:47 AM
Paul Brewer
Advanced

I bought my '82 SC with 51,000 miles on it and there wasn't a thing wrong with it. The PO only put 200 miles on it in the last 2 years that he owned it. It was kept in a heated garage from 1987 until I purchased it last April.
Yes, cars must be driven to keep them in good condition but I think the storage method has a great influence on how the car holds up too.

Quick Reply: These cars MUST be tough