Squeaking clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 12:21 AM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Squeaking clutch pedal

I have an '87 Carrera and I noticed that sometimes when depressing the clutch pedal, I can hear a squeak down in the pedal box. Using my sensitve feet, the pedal action also does not feel quite as silky smooth as usual when it does squeak. Otherwise everything operates fine. Am I correct in thinking I could just remove the access panel under the pedals and shoot some lubricant like lithium grease around the spring and maybe the pivots?

Jim
'87 911 Cabrio
blk/blk/blk
Old 04-10-2005, 12:23 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Maybe - sometimes the pedal 'strut' touches the plywood board under there when it is pushed - you can move it to the side if so.

Might also need a rebuild of the cluster. Inspect it.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:09 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim,

Hopefully, Randy is right and all you have to do is adjust the position of the floor boards. Otherwise...

A couple of years ago, I started getting squeaks and some binding from the clutch pedal on my 84 Carrera. I rebuilt the cluster using new bronze bushings. It's been silky smooth and quiet ever since.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:17 AM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine does the same thing occaisionally. My cluster was rebuilt some time in the past. What I do is remove the board and get out the WD-40 and hit the spring and bushings [bronze]. It is nice after that for a good while between treatments. If you have the plastic bushings, the WD-40 is a bad thing. I'd use a silicone lube spray in that case.

todd
86 coupe

Quick Reply: Squeaking clutch pedal