911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Any recommendations for a CO analyzer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005 | 12:47 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Default Any recommendations for a CO analyzer?

I would like to pick up a CO analyzer to be able to set the mixture myself on my 78 SC. Anyone have any recommendations on brands/models. Cost/quality ratio is a significant factor.

Brett
Old 04-08-2005 | 03:05 PM
BER
Pro

Brett,

I use the Gunson Digital Gastester made in the UK. I got it a couple of years ago from a dealer in Florida (approx. $130); search the Net because I'm not sure who is currently selling them. It works fine for my needs, but if you want "dead-on accuracy" you may want to keep searching.

I think Pelican is selling a exhaust gas analyzer that needs an O2 sensor bung to tap into. The Gunson just has a probe that sticks up the tailpipe.
Old 04-08-2005 | 03:19 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Brett:

The Gunson's are a nice hobbyist tool, but not very accurate. One should calibrate those against a professional or laboratory grade instrument to get usable results.

I'd recommend the Innovative A/F meter. Get the clamp on bracket and you can attach the wide-band O2 sensor to the tailpipe, eliminating the need for a bung. This is FAR FAR more accurate,........

IMHO, given the consequences of running with a too-lean mixture, this is NOT a place to pinch pennies. If you are on a strict budget, take your car to a shop for CO corrections until you have the bucks to get something worthwhile.
Old 04-08-2005 | 05:29 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Default So, Steve, if I get an O2 sensor based analyzer, are you going to tell me

how to tune the mixture for proper exhaust O2 levels rather than CO? Or has that all been explained before? Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Brett
Old 04-09-2005 | 08:35 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Brett:

A/F meters display fuel mixture information as either Lambda or an air-fuel ratio.

One can do some Internet searches for charts that show CO vs A/F numbers,.........

I've not checked but Innovative might even provide such a chart on their website. All we use here are A/F ratios or raw Lambda numbers.
Old 04-09-2005 | 11:49 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Thanks

Quick Reply: Any recommendations for a CO analyzer?