Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wash DC/Md/N.Va "Meet and Drive" final details: 5/22 10-11:15am then a cool drive ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 436 Posts
Default Wash DC/Md/N.Va "Meet and Drive" final details: 5/22 10-11:15am then a cool drive ...

(Hello fellow "911" owners. I'm visiting from the 993 board to extend you guys an invite for a "Meet and Drive")

OK - so here are more details of the next Wash DC/Md/N. Va "Meet and Drive. We will meet at 10am, Sunday May 22nd at the Starbucks at Mid Pike Plaza on Rockville Pike in Rockville, Md. (11802A Rockville Pike Store, Rockville, MD 20852) It's next to the Silver Diner in Rockville MD. To get there, just take I-495 to Rockville Pike North (Route 355 - I think it's exit 34), go 2.7 miles north on Route 355 and turn left on Old Georgetown Rd, then make an immediate right into the shopping center and look for Starbucks (it's across the way from the Silver Diner in the same parking lot).

For those of you that haven't been to one, a "Meet and Drive" typically consists of a bunch of Rennlisters meeting at one central spot, like a large parking lot in front of a Starbucks - from 10am-11:15am or so. You'd find us chatting about our cars, checking out each other's upgrades, talking about recent road trips, catching up with other Rennlisters that we may have only communicated with up till now via the web forum, and generally just having a fun time being part of what becomes a "scene". Then, for those that want to, we take a winding, 60 minute drive to a lunch spot and have a nice, reasonably priced meal. Some stay for the food, others just drive on.

NEW PART: At around 11:15 or so, for all that care to join us for the "drive" part of this day, we will start to get organized for an interesting ride to Leesburg, Va. via the White's Ferry. I will have printed directions for you, but essentially we'll drive up Rockville Pike (355 North) to Route 28 north, go about 20 miles into the beautiful rolling countryside of upper Montgomery County, then:
11: Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto W HUNTER RD. 1.6 miles Map

12: Turn LEFT onto WASCHE RD. 1.4 miles

13: Turn RIGHT onto WHITES FERRY RD/MD-107. 3.9 miles

14: End at 24801 Whites Ferry Rd, Dickerson, MD 20842-9378 US

[There used to be 100 ferries operating on the Potomac, this is the last one and it's still pretty busy. The cars line up on what looks like a boat ramp and fill up the ferry. The ferry follows a wire cable to the other side (lower right). You can see how narrow the crossing is. It runs continuously, year round, from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. $3 one way or $5 round trip. For up-to-date conditions, call them at 301-349-5200. Flooding and ice can close the ferry.]

You can read about the history of the Ferry at Poolesville.com. Between the American Legion Bridge at Lock 12 to Point of Rocks, this is the only other Potomac River crossing, even though the Maryland/Virginia/DC area is a major population center.

Then we'll take this route to the restaurant from the ferry:

1: WHITES FERRY becomes VA-655/WHITES FERRY RD. 1.2 miles

2: Turn LEFT onto JAMES MONROE HWY/US-15 S. Continue to follow JAMES MONROE HWY. 1.9 miles Map

3: JAMES MONROE HWY becomes N KING ST/US-15 BR. 1.0 miles

4: Turn LEFT onto LOUDOUN ST SE. 0.1 miles

5: Turn RIGHT onto HARRISON ST SE. <0.1 miles

6: End at 203 Harrison St Se, Leesburg, VA 20175-3702 US

You'll now see this well reviewed and reasonably priced restaurant: Tuscarora Mill. We have reservations for 20 so let me know if you can still come for the lunch part of the trip. It's been voted #1 restaurant in Loudon County by Washingtonian Magazine .
http://www.leesburgrestaurant.com/
http://www.tuskies.com/Home.htm

They have an ala carte lunch with sandwiches and salads, or if you're really hungry, you could go all out and try their delicious buffet brunch for $21.95. It includes breakfast items, applesmoked bacon, sausages, sesame roasted salmon, a beef entree, salads, homemade muffins and breads, and lots more... When the bill comes, just pay for what you ordered (so if you order the $21.95 brunch and someone else just orders a soup... you get the idea!) .

Sounds good? Yes, it's a little longer than some of our other "drives" on our "Meet and Drive", but we won't be stopping at any classic car dealerships along the way so the drive part of the day should be about the same. Some of you have asked for a longer drive portion so here ya go. If you only want to show up for the "Meet" part - great! If you want to do the "Meet and Drive" part but not eat, that's cool too. Whatever floats your boat (well, actually the ferry will be doing that part ).

Steve R

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 03-28-2005 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:13 PM
JJ 88 Cab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve -

this sounds great, I haven't attended one of your drives before, but am interested in this one.

Jay
Herndon, VA
88 911 Cab
Old 03-31-2005, 07:33 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 436 Posts

Awesome! Glad you can come. There should be some 78-88 Carrera's there for sure. I used to have an 88 911 Carrera and LOVED it for 5 years. I'll count you in.

This is the day I sold it... sad day, even though I'm smiling in it.

A stray pic of our 4 year old at the time:

Steve

Quick Reply: Wash DC/Md/N.Va "Meet and Drive" final details: 5/22 10-11:15am then a cool drive ...