Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

SWB brake ? for SWB racer/gurus

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 01:56 PM
mjmoran
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default SWB brake ? for SWB racer/gurus

I am looking to see if either Carrera M type or earlier rear calipers will fit the front of a SWB 1968 911. My 68 has solid rotors and brake cooling is impossible. The brakes as they stand can barely handle a fast 30 min session on the track (SRP, PIR, SIR) and this past weekend I froze out both inboard pistons in the front as well! This is with using ATE super blue, porterfield R4 pads, Ti pad backs, and no backing plates. The weather is not even hot and there was even a bit of rain...hate to see what could happen in June! Anyway, it looks to me that I could fit a set of Carrera (or earlier) vented front rotors and the same rear M type calipers in the front for a huge benifit in heat sink capabilities. The Carrera with the wider venting preferrable of course and working down from there.

I could then fit the front caliper off my 68 to the rear to work out the break bias issue. Better yet, I could fit a earlier rear M type off a T,E,S and a vented rotor as well. Although I have heard that the rear hats on >69 cars will not fit a SWB car ( I have not tried this though). There is other talk of a 944 rear rotor fitting with a small amount of machine work

Does anyone know if this will work? If not, what will. I am not wanting to change out the front suspention to a later style as some have done as this is a completely original car and I would like to keep as much of the originality as possible.

So bring it on...

Quick Reply: SWB brake ? for SWB racer/gurus