Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Advise on '89 Porsche Targa

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 09:37 PM
Stephen A. Lucas
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advise on '89 Porsche Targa

I am about to make an offer on a very clean '89 Targa (Red/Black Interior). The car drives well.
81,xxx miles. 5 speed manual. No nicks or scratches on body. The top looks very good.
What I would like to know from the experts is what I need to be careful about with this model and year and mileage. I plan to get a PPI. The asking price is approx. $21,950. I live in the Seattle area (Bellevue). The previous owner lowered the price from $27K about one week ago.

If you can give me some advise on the above I would really appreciate it. I don't have much time as there have been several interested parties. Thanks
Old 01-30-2003, 10:09 PM
rfuerst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well the PPI will help figure out whats up with the car,I would pay attention to the clutch,has it ever been replaced?Next I would worry about the Targa top weather stripping,this can be very costly to replace plus leaking is bad for the interior.Suspension components like shocks,bushings,tie rod ends etc.Any maint. records with the car?How about the AC,this is another area that can rack up dollars real quick if not working.I'm sure others will chime in,good luck and let us know the results.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Stephen:

The 1989 3.2 Carrera's were probably the best year for that model. It was a pretty well sorted out car by then. There weren't many built that year either compared to prior years.

There have been discussions about premature valve guide wear on the 3.2 engines. This problem usually occurs in the 40,000 to 60,000 mile range. At 81k, this motor might be just fine or had been previously repaired. This problem is not that common, but it can occur.

As previously mentioned, check all the usual stuff that you would on any used car. These cars are relatively simple.

Have a reputable shop do a pre purchase inspection on the mechanicals and it's also wise to have a reputable body shop that is familiar with 911's to have a look too.

Good Luck,
Jay
<a href="http://www.jays911.com" target="_blank">90 964</a>
Old 01-30-2003, 11:48 PM
TomTurtle
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stephen:

I was real sorry to part with my '89 Targa (Linen Grey Metallic/Black) but I needed the $$$ for my '88CS. My car had around 51,000 miles on it and sold in April 2002 for $26,500 and three round trip first class ticket from San Jose to Washington, DC in order to pick up the CS (long story).

Considering the market, I think that $21,950 is a fair starting point if there are no major probs with the PPI. Insist on a compression check and/or leak down test; check for any indication of removal of the engine (i.e. marks/scratches on motor mount bolts); check for even spaces between doors/jambs, hood fender etc.; definitely check for rust in Seattle; use a magnet checking for bondo; look down the side of the car while kneeling to detect sheet metal irregularities (works best in a backlit situation). There are books on the subject but sounds like you don't have much time for research. Like they said on Hill Street Blues - "Just be careful out there".

Quick Reply: Advise on '89 Porsche Targa