Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Best sounding muffler for 911SC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Aries9
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best sounding muffler for 911SC?

I'm getting SSIs and I want a muffler that will make the car sound better, ideally, like a GT3. preferably dual exhaust. I've listened to some sound clips of a dansk and i couldnt really tell if it made any difference. There's gotta be a muffler that makes the kind of difference that a flowmaster makes for a mustang.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:36 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The guys on the Pelican board are raving about the MB911 mufflers being sold by a guy there. Great sound and quality, and a reasonable price.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:47 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

And they are fairly light - about the same as a Monty in wt.

There are no dyno results on them tho. Or you can pay 2x for a Monty which is known to not lose any hp -- unlike most aftermarket mufflers.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:48 AM
Mark Hald
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I bought one of the mb911 2:2 mufflers from Ben. It was one of his early units. Mated with SSIs, it turned out to be too loud for the street. It sounded wonderful above 3k RPM, but, between 2-3K, there was a resonance inside the car that made normal conversation impossible. On the track, it's simply awesome!

That said, it's my understanding that Ben is now making the mufflers a bit quieter, and you may even be able to specify how loud you want it to be. He's even advised that he may be able to supply me with some sort of insert to quiet mine down for street use. Right now, I switch mufflers before track events and I bring the street muffler with me, just in case I get black-flagged for ebing above the track noise limits...

As stated previosly, Ben makes a high-quality muffler and it is significantly lighter than stock. I believe mine weighed a full 10 pounds less than my Dansk SS 2:1.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:45 AM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randy you stated:

"Or you can pay 2x for a Monty which is known to not lose any hp -- unlike most aftermarket mufflers."

Per statements by most aftermarket muffler manufacturers( Dansk, Monty, Fabspeed, etc.), especially sport mufflers claim to "increase" HP. Why do you make your above statement? In fact I have never seen any documentation showing that by using aftermarket mufflers you lose HP. Can you document? Just curious as this is one upgrade I was considering down the road.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:10 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just replaced my stock cat and muffler with GHL's sport cat and muffler. I don't know whether it's the sport cat or the muffler, or both, but the car is noticeably faster. And sounds wonderful too.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:29 PM
JBO
Instructor

GHL. Get the single out if you want a little less sound, dual out is loud. Single out with by-pass sounds great, and I'm sure would sound even better with SSI's.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:53 PM
ccoleymd
Instructor

I have SSI's and a Monty dual out muffler on my 82 SC and I love it! The large dual outlets not only look good on the car, but the sound is like a performance car. I agree, it is a louder, but worth it in my opinion. With luck you can find one used on one of the sites.

Chris
1982 911SC
Old 04-01-2005, 03:59 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Jim - this is in various columns by Bruce Anderson and maybe his book. Not to mention the feedback I've gotten orally on this from Jerry Wood and various other race engine builders. MFI is a whole 'nother issue too.

Be careful when you read any claims. The 'increases' are usually over a stock Carrera exhaust NOT the 'stock '74 and earlier system. Also, most hp benefit comes from changing the heat exchangers back - lots of threads on this if you do a search here and at pelican. But - obviously, be careful whose opinon you trust on the internet... BTW, the Dansk is just a copy of the stock muffler design.

BTW - people are not distinguishing the two types of dual outlet mufflers above. The ones with straight pipes directly out the rear are much louder than the cow horn types (my Monty for example) which are themselves somewhat louder than the single outlets.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:35 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randy - Thanks for the answer! As I own a Carrera, I have only looked at the Carrera after market sport mufflers and that's where I've seen "claims" of increased HP. Interesting though, I will look at what BA says in his book. The more I read and learn, the less I seem to know :-)
Old 04-01-2005, 10:09 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

re less.. It's just that there are a lot of exceptions, etc. based on which model year and the type of use. BTW, check re your emissions regs.

They are all 911s but they are all different.

Quick Reply: Best sounding muffler for 911SC?