Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

85 carrera maint info

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 03:04 AM
Gost
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 carrera maint info

I'm new to this forum and have read alot of valuable info presented here. I own a 1985 Carrera Cab with 122K on her and it's time for some needed maintenance that I want to perform myself but have never done on a Porsche before. Simple stuff like Brake pads front and rear. I am told that the rear besides pads has shoes which are for the emergency brakes and I never new that. I have not checked it yet but if so is there anything out of the ordinary needed to be done to replace them? I looked up the cost of these shoes and was floored at the $153 for the set price. For Shoes? Can this be right? Any input where to buy the pads and shoes? I'm thinking Metal Master pads as they were reccomended by a friend. While on the brakes I want to install a set of SS braided brake lines I got as a gift from a buddy and obviously change the brake fluid. Next I will be changing plugs, wires, cap/rotor and fuel/oil filters, basic stuff usually but on a Porsche I'm not sure. A tranny oil change is next and I'm being told that Swepco 201 is the oil to use what do you all think?
I also have a good oil leak from one of the oil return tubes and want to replace it. Someone is telling me it's an easy job, just channel lock, crush and twist the old out and install a new expandable return tube. Sounds simple enough but then someone else said that you can't do that because the valve push rods run inside the tubes and you have to take the valve covers off and so on. I have the new expandable return tube and have to figure out the next step.
Any input on warnings or short cuts or sound procedures are immensely appreciated.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:22 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

First thing to do is to buy the Bentley repair manual. Next, think about the 101 Projects book.

After reading over the applicable sections, do a search here and on the Pelican BBS using the terms in your post above for each item. For example, searching on SS brake lines will quickly show that you do not want them on your car at all nless they are DOT certified, and even if they are, you will want to remove them after 1-2 years no matter what.

A search on Swepco will show that you want to use it in the 915 trans but not the G50.

etc.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:43 AM
Gost
Instructor

Thanks for steering me in the right direction. Will get the literature and go from there. I was also just hoping for some quick tips as I am pretty handy with the wrenches but don't know about quirky procedures on the 911. The brake lines I got as a gift clearly state they are not approved for highway use. What are they approved for then if not for street use? Waste of money obviously, bought at performance products and my buddy said the description said it was a must have for optimum brake performance! Live and learn. Thanks again for your input.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:55 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

If you're in a hurry, check out the technical pages at Pelican - not the forum - that is a fine resource but might be a bit much for starters. If you get stuck on a task post a pic and query here or there.

Do replace the rubber brake hoses with new rubber ones when you flush the fluid.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:01 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Better tell him the cost of the factory manual set....
Old 03-28-2005, 04:38 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

braided lines are better, they give a better felling pedal. It costs alot of money to go through the process to get that DOT approval that alot of manufacturers dont have or dont care to spend. They just put that on there to cover their asses for legal reasons as they DONT have DOT approval.

The last set of factory manuals I've seen sold (abouut a year ago) were for a 912E and they were $2200, I have pretty much all of them, but the bently is an excellent manual and is writen for americans to understand. I personaly find the Bently easier for some aspects.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:11 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Fxn meant "better feeling pedal"

- I've heard that before, but didn't find it true on my street car. Did you sample several changes from rubber to plastic/braid? i.e. what is the basis for that stmt.

I sure wouldn't risk a non-DOT line... We aren't talking about the heater blower unit here... We are taling aobut the single most important safety system on the entire car. A sudden failure can easily kill you ... or worse maybe leave you in permanent pain in a wheel chair...
Old 03-28-2005, 05:42 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Randy, I haven't done this on my 911 yet, but I swear by them on my other cars, street & track.

I've had great luck with them increasing pedal firmness and reducing braking distances somewhat (where old rubber lines were deteriorating).

When I do the brakes over on my 84, I'll be very likely putting braided lines on as well.

On a side note, regarding the e-brake, I haven't looked into it yet, but my ebrake isn't firm in holding the vehicle's position anymore unless the handle's cranked up high. Failing shoes?
Old 03-29-2005, 12:07 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

"where old rubber lines were deteriorating"

- Well, that is the exact problem! The only valid test is between new rubber lines and the braided covered ones. Certainly, old rubber ones should be replaced if they are deteriorating or are likely to do so. Every 5 years, some say every 10.

But the question is with new rubber or with the braided.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:17 AM
Gost
Instructor

Quite a bit of info. Where does one pick up a Bentley manual? Also can I get input on which set of wires all of you seasoned Porschephiles feel is economical yet functional. Manuals tell you how to do things but lack branding input which I'm sure can be crucial. Would you put a Fram oil filter on your car? Probably not. I was amazed at how many brake pad options there are along with their associated prices. Experience would narrow the selections to a tolerable level and that's ideally what I'm looking for, a bit of guidance as to what brands work and at a reasonable price point. I know I'm going to pay a premium because of "Porsche" but then there's premium and there's stupid throw your money in the gutter products. Again thanks for any input and starting me off. I'm sick of this New York winter, can't wait to drop the top and cruise!
Old 03-30-2005, 04:27 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

E-brakes don't really wear unless they are used with the weels turning to slow the car down as opposed to using it for parking. So, unless you use it to slow down when you don't want to show brakes lights, they last pretty much forever.

To adjust the shoes, get the car off the ground, and locate the adjuster hole in the drum. Using an adjusting tool or a big screwdriver, move the star wheel until the shoes just drag on the drum (e-brake in off postion, of course). Then, back them off 5 clicks. This should ensure even application in the event you do have to use it when moving.

As far as filters are concerned, there is a difference on the 911 filters as to where the check valve is. Stick with the OE spec filter.

Hope you enjoy working on your car as much as I do. It is one of the most enjoyable aspevcts of ownership for me. Well, except for the track....
Old 03-30-2005, 06:06 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Where does one pick up a Bentley manual? Amazon, Pelican, etc.

The Mahle filters are not expensive. Be sure to get new Al crush rings too. Don't use the Fram.

Steve Wiener has posted a whole range of brake pads to use. Do a search to find that thread.

Wires - ?spark plug wires? Do a search at Pelican - there is a brand they like.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:03 AM
Gost
Instructor

Will do. See, I did not even know that there are crush rings for the filter! Picking up stuff all the time.
I sometimes feel that parts "sites" tend to push what they carry as opposed to what's appropriate for your car. I never dealt with pelican before but if you all state that they are on the up and up then it makes it easy to just follow their lead. Performance, I think steered my buddy the wrong way with the non-dot brake lines and the Welmeister short shift kit as an example. They did not tell him that it's not advisable to put on a car, why would they, they sell it!!! Pelican it is!
Thanks again. I'm sure I'll post again soon as I have alot of fun work ahead of me!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:54 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Crush rings for the filter, or for the drain plugs? If for the filter, I missed that one & just put 2 new ones on the drain plugs last oil change. The guy I bought the 10pk of Mahle filters from on eBay included 20 crush washers, and there were 2 drain plugs, so I assumed only on the drain plugs.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:33 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are no crush rings for a 911 oil filter. The oil drain plugs for the oil tank and the engine block each have one crush ring.

Quick Reply: 85 carrera maint info