Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Good mechanic in SLC area

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005 | 11:40 AM
MD
7th Gear

Default Good mechanic in SLC area

Could someone recommend a good mechanic for a 1987 911 Carrera in the Salt Lake City / Sandy Utah area. Any advice or comments are much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2005 | 04:40 PM
jet911
Pro

MD, There are a couple. I noticed that you are in MI, are you looking for a PPI or ? One of the better shops in the SLC valley is Concourse, another is the Dealer Dave Strong Porsche (depends on what you want done as they no longer work on pre '89s). One of the best in the state is in Ogden, Air power racing about 45 minutes north of SLC. Those are the ones with the best reputations and who support PCA. Let me know what you want done and I can give you more info. I'm out of town right now, will be back on Saturday and can give you phone numbers, etc.

Let me know...
Old 03-16-2005 | 01:56 AM
MD
7th Gear

Jim, I have recently moved to the SLC area (Sandy) and forgot to update my Rennlist profile prior to posting the message. I am looking for a shop to replace the oil return tubes on my '87 Carrera cabriolet. They are leaking pretty badly and are making a huge mess all over my garage floor. Please let me know what experiences you have had at the shops you mentioned. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2005 | 12:53 PM
jet911
Pro

MD, There are only four or five shops in the SLC area that work on P-cars. Of the ones mentioned, I have only used Dave Strongs for a couple small repairs when I bought my car nearly 5 years ago. Dave Strongs is very good. They have one of the best P-car mechanics around. Larry has been with them for nearly 30 years and knows the older P-cars well. Many folks I know who have P-cars will only take it to him. I believe they would do your oil tubes even though they try to stay away from pre '89s.

I have stopped in and talked to the guys at Concourse. Their business is relatively new under the name Concourse, however both mechanics worked for a shop that specialized in P-cars for over 20 years and purchased the shop (Elmers) then changed the name to Concourse. They have a great reputation and are active in the PCA.

I have heard from many that Air Power Racing is possibly the best shop in Utah. They work by appointment only and work only on P-cars. They build race cars as well and are very involved in the PCA. The down side is that they are in Ogden about an hour north.

Stay away from an outfit called Alex's Auto Haus. I was referred to them, as the owner is suppose to be a Porsche factory trained mechanic, to have the 1st gear syncro, dog teeth and slider replaced. It shifted perfectly except for going into first. It ended up being a total tranny rebuild (all bearings, syncros, dog teeth, etc.), I did authorize the work per their suggestion. They ended up keeping my car for three months off and on and had to drop the tranny 5 times. It still does not shift as well as before I took it in. That was two years ago.

I now do all my own work.

I believe any of the three mentioned would do good work for you.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2006 | 03:02 AM
rtinti
1st Gear

This post is now a year old. I'm looking to choreograph a long distance PPI for a boxster for the wife. Can anybody else vouch for Concourse Auto Werks from more recent experience?

I've already been saved once by a trustworthy PPI, and now I won't buy a porsche without one.
Old 03-20-2006 | 11:45 AM
jet911
Pro

rtinti,
I have not seen anyother posters on Rennlist from SLC. There are a couple posters on Pelican however. I've taken my car to Concourse for an A/F adjustment after I did a valve adjustment. That is my only experience with them. Once again, they do have a good reputation. The best from what I hear is Air Powered Racing in Ogden. They only do P-cars. For other references, contact the PCA in SLC. Good luck!
Old 03-20-2006 | 12:45 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Hi:

Talk to Les @Air Power Racing in Ogden and tell him that I sent you.

He's REAL sharp.
Old 03-20-2006 | 02:40 PM
jet911
Pro

Steve,
Good to hear you know Les at APR as your endorsement is big. I have heard nothing but very good things about his operation. He is about an hour from where I live and since I do most of the work myself, have not had a chance to call upon him for his services. I wish I would have used him for my tranny rebuild a few years back. Live and learn...
Regards,
Jim

Quick Reply: Good mechanic in SLC area