Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Does anyone pull their 911 on a dolly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 08:43 PM
Rob519
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Does anyone pull their 911 on a dolly?

I want to pull my 1986 911 to some events and was considering a dolly rather than a trailer with all wheels up. A dolly would result in less weight for my tow vehicle.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 01-27-2003, 09:24 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't do it! The tranny was not designed for that kind of stress. Trailer it or drive it....my recommendation.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:31 AM
Bryan Moore
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure there's any logical reason not to use a dolly or flat-tow a 911 based on concerns about the transaxle. I flat-towed a 356 Speedster all over the place with no evident harm to the transaxle, people flat-tow VW-based dune buggies all the time, and the interstates are filled with folks flat-towing front/rear/four-wheel-drive vehicles behind their motorhomes. In all cases, the driven wheels (front, rear, or all) are spinning with the transmmission in neutral. That said, I probably wouldn't flat-tow my 911 but I see no reason not to put it on a dolly backwards. Of course, the steering would have to be locked in the straight-ahead position. It would look a little strange going down the road and the front wheels would be spinning backwards, but that shouldn't do any harm. It's possible that there might be an issue with tire wear (if the car's going backwards, the wheels are toed out rather than in) but it's probably trivial compared to the wear you're going to put on them at the track. I've seen numerous vehicles being towed backwards on dollies.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:20 PM
Todd
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Last winter I towed my 73 on a dolly from Georgia to Michigan. I backed it on the dolly and locked the front wheels straight ahead via the steering column. I did have one of the "up" model dollys which the dolly wheels turn with the the pull vehicle. That helps immensly in the mountains and for tight turning. No problems whatsoever except all the questions when I stopped to get gas. The front wheels are free rolling so I do not see the comment about the transaxle. Check those wheel straps frequently and keep them tight. The only issue you may have is a couple fouled plugs on startup as from the car being at that angle for so long, I did not have that trouble.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:05 PM
awis321
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just make sure you lookout for your front spoiler.

Quick Reply: Does anyone pull their 911 on a dolly?