Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

915 gear box?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 08:12 AM
crashmy911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 915 gear box?

Found some shavings in my gear box. Are these signs of a failure of the gear box. Still shifted okay when in car, but I did do something in a parking lot when going from first to reverse. It made some grinding sounds. Any way there was only one really mall piece of steal in there on the magnetic drain nut. It was about as big as the letter h!!!
Old 01-28-2003, 11:17 AM
Christian K
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I'm not misinformed, there's no synchronisation on reverse, so you have to wait a second or two before going from a forward gear to reverse, otherwise it will grind.

cheers

/christian
Old 01-28-2003, 01:24 PM
an6drew
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, grinding when going into reverse can mean that the clutch is not properly adjusted.

I think its normal to find shavings on the magnetic gearbox drain plug, but big pieces are probably not a good sign? Maybe change the fluid at shorter intervals & check for any additional teeth. Maybe someone else will chime in with an opinion whether further damage can occur if htat was a sychro tooth you found?

Andrew
Old 01-28-2003, 09:20 PM
cmoss

Please note as per above post--that there is NO synchro on the reverse.

I scared the crap out of myself (JEEZE! -WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!!) by not pausing before engaging reverse after I first got the SC. It truly does sound horrible.

Also note that as per the above post--small pieces of metal (shavings) are to be expected. If you find identifiable pieces and/or small mammals, attract the attention of a trained professional by waving ~$2.5K in his general direction.

Cheers,
Chris

Quick Reply: 915 gear box?