Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Remove A/C to put on engine lid badge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 09:30 PM
Julia
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove A/C to put on engine lid badge?

I have two badges (a PCA and a local PCA one) I want to put on my '80Sc's engine grill. Do I have to remove the A/C "thingy" (I'm not sure what to call it) in order to get the grill off? It sure looks like it. The screws on the left side look hard to reach. I thought I was just going to pop that off and out the badges on, not so I guess!

Thanks,
Old 02-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Jaws911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yah -- had my wrench do it when he was doing something else - ok wimppy, but once i saw him do it,i realized it is just as easy as it looked - just don't drop the little screws -& you don't have to take the whole thing off, just drop one end...he didn't have to unhook anything either..

hopethis helps...
Old 02-23-2005, 01:21 PM
glenncof
Instructor

I remove the air conditioning coils of the lid of my 1985 911 recently to refinish the grill. It was no problem pulling it and letting it hang while I did the grill.

Getting one of the screws back it was problematic on left side.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Julia
Instructor

I had the right side screws off fine, but the left side is very hard to reach. I ended up putting the right side screws back in and maybe when we go to the mechanics for something, I'll see if they can put them on.

Jaws911- Mine wasn't loose enough with one side off and the middle part to get the grill up enough to put them on. I'm afraid I might bend the grill if I push to hard on it.

I did have ,lots of fun drivng Skippy today though. Lots of sunshine!! ;0)
Old 02-23-2005, 06:19 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Julia: Ouch, I think that you're trying to remove the grille, instead of the A/C condenser. 1. Put a folded beach towel between the engine lid and the painted surface beneath your rear window. It should cover everything between the lid hinges. 2. At the right end of the condenser you will find a black, right angle bracket, which is bolted to the hinge (near a large black A/C hose). Use either a 7mm or 8mm wrench size socket/wrench, loosen and remove that small bolt. 3. At the rear center of the condenser you will find another black bracket, held on with two screws. Remove the screws and bracket. 4. On the left hinge you will find another small bolt that holds a small "U" shaped bracket in place, which holds the left A/C hose against the inside of the left hinge. Remove that bracket. 5. At the left end of the condenser, just above the bracket you just removed, is another black, "L" shaped bracket with a bolt like the right side. Remove it. During the loosening process the condenser will walk down, and rest against your towel. When all the bolts are out just lay the condenser back on top of the engine and install your badges. When you put the condenser back on be careful to not penetrate it with the badge screws! Also, be careful that you don't cut yourself, there are some sharp edges where you will be working. Good luck!
Pete
Old 02-23-2005, 06:37 PM
Julia
Instructor

Ahhhh, I guess I was trying to remove the grill. I copy/pasted your instructions into Word and made it a 14 pt. font size seperated by each numbered item you gave me. I might have time tonight, otherwise I will do it tomorrow and let you know how it goes! Thanks so much! I need to get your book. It looks very good.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Julia: Two more things - (1) the left and right "L" brackets are attached to the condenser; the odd shaped one in the middle is held by two screws and will fall down when you take the screws out. (2) Don't try to loosen the two large A/C hoses (you'll lose your R 12 refrigerant), they'll just move with the condenser. Make sure your towel is stuffed between the engine lid and body so the condenser can't scratch the paint as you loosen it!
Pete
Old 02-23-2005, 09:33 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have nothing to add here other than it is a pleasure to read Peter Zimmermann's many posts. He's clearly knowledgeable, but he conveys that knowledge in a concise, user-friendly fashion, and gives freely of advice and wisdom that's obviously taken years to compile. You da man, Peter!!
Old 02-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Clipboard
Instructor

I just don't understand how he finds the time to give us all help while he's drilling all those little holes in brake rotors. ;-)
john
Old 02-23-2005, 09:58 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Clipboard
I just don't understand how he finds the time to give us all help while he's drilling all those little holes in brake rotors. ;-)
john
The epitomy of multitasking.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scottb
I have nothing to add here other than it is a pleasure to read Peter Zimmermann's many posts. He's clearly knowledgeable, but he conveys that knowledge in a concise, user-friendly fashion, and gives freely of advice and wisdom that's obviously taken years to compile. You da man, Peter!!
I concur. We are very lucky to have Peter posting on this board. I enjoy all of his responses to all the various issues. Thanks Pete!

Jay
90 964
Old 02-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Julia
Instructor

Ok Pete you get a big from me!! I got the A/C compressor off and I put the PCA badge on. My clubs badge had an issue. The part that you put the screw in broke off the badge. I'm trying super glue. If it dosen't hold, I'll just use the PCA badge. It's nicer looking anyhow.

I just got some touch-up paint from PaintScratch and it matches perfectly. I've heard Rejex is awsome stuff, so I'm going to order some and give my car a great detail job, touch-up a few rock chips and use the Rejex.

I'm taking it in to register this weekend and hoping to get personalized plates that say "SKIPPEE". The regular spelling was already taken.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:39 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Julia: Super glue won't do you any good. If it's a metal product, go to your local auto parts store or Home Depot and get some JB Weld. It's an amazing product, and likely will solve your problem.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Julia
Instructor

I think we have some of that somewhere. I'll try it. Although, it was a bit of hard work to get that compressor back on! A person needs to have child-size fingers to put all those screws in place, jeez. I don't know that I want to take it off again at least not real soon. I'm sure I will..next week! My husband has this "retreiver" thing that makes getting dropped nuts and screws much easier to get. I think when I go to put the other badge on I will place a towel over the engine compartment too so if I drop some, it won't go down in the "black hole".
Old 02-24-2005, 07:59 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the nice words, all of you!

Julia, WAY TO GO!

Pete

Quick Reply: Remove A/C to put on engine lid badge?