Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1996 993TT (550HP)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 04:18 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yo Jackie baby...

Got the SC (www.tonygarcia.org/911SC) and just picked up a Euro '84 Carrera factory sunroof delete with LSD BTW. Not as fast as the SC... but it pulls pretty good. Thinking of turning it at the POC/PCA event in March at California Speedway..... Thought I would replace the SC with the Carrera... but nope. The SC is 'la machine'.... sorta brings back memories...

Oh BTW.. just weighed the SC with 1/2 tank of gas: 2460lbs on a certifed scale.

MartyG.... I've owned a couple three or four Porsches over the years which covers everything between 1980 through 2004 (nothing pre '80 though) ranging from stock to extensive engine program development. Sorta been around the block.. but not as much as some of the old timers.

I can appreciate the early cars (got my eye on a couple now ... mu ha ha), I've just not had the opportunity to obtain the "right car" at the "right time". Too many Porsches to choose from :-)

And yes, the 993 is old school comprared to the 996/997 with repsect engine technology. Night and day difference. It doesn't make the 993 any worse of a car. It is what it is (just like my baby SC).. but it ain't ever gonna run with a 996TT apples-to-apples on the street or the track.

TonyG
Old 02-17-2005, 06:15 PM
Pablohsu
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TonyG:

I was checking out your website and the SC is a really nice ride. From the pictures I can see you have the car registered. I was told that the car will not pass a smog check with the SSI and weber carbs, I was wondering what was done in your car to make it pass the smog test.

Pablo
Old 02-17-2005, 06:27 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Pablohsu

Thanks for the compliments on the SC. It ain't fast... but at least it sounds fast :-)

The car won't pass with the PMO carbs (not weber) and the SSI's (although you could use SSI headers and bolt on a 2 onto 1 set of pipes to a cat which would eliminate that portion of the problem).

The solution is to... hint hint wink wink.. find someone that will "help" you out (for a small fee).

If you ask and look around, you can fairly easily find a shop that can help you out.

TonyG
Old 02-18-2005, 12:57 AM
Pablohsu
Track Day

TonyG:

(although you could use SSI headers and bolt on a 2 onto 1 set of pipes to a cat which would eliminate that portion of the problem).

How much power can be extracted out of that method?

Was wondering what you took out of the SC to make it weight only 2460 lbs with 1/2 full tank of gas and 996 electric seats? Also what kind of sway bars are you using for front and back?

Pablo
Old 02-18-2005, 01:06 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Pablohsu

The suspension is stock other than the addition of new Bilstein sport struts/shocks... for now. That's about to change here real soon...

The brakes are stock. They too are about to change real soon also.

With respect to weight loss:

Removed the spare tire, jack, tool kit.
Replaced the stock big battery with a Odyssey PC680MJT Lightweight Battery / Aluminum Hold
Removed the CIS injection and replaced with PMO carbs.
Removed the stock exhaust and installed SSI with custom 321 stainless lightweight muffler.
Removed a/c compressor (but all other aspects of a/c system remain)
Removed front fog lights
Removed front license plate
Removed Fuch 6/7 and installed Fuch 7/9
Added a/d/s stereo amplifier

The 996 seats are the partial electric seats and are much lighter than the normal full electric 996 seats.

Nothing else has been removed.

The SSI with the cat comment was only meant to get around the smog laws... and was not performance oriented. However, it would be much easier to install a cat behind the SSI's than to R&R the entire exhaust system for the purposes of installing the cat for smog inspection.

TonyG
Old 02-24-2005, 09:00 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

So this thread went where? Congrats on the car MartyG. I bet that power has got to feel pretty sick!

Keep on keepin on
Old 02-24-2005, 10:08 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Marty, glad your happy about your car, thats what its all about. I Would, however, like to know why would you insult a 944 series car like that when your numbers aren't even that impressive. Is it that Tony has gotten something somewhat close to your numbers with pretty much bolt ons and 1.3 liters less displacement? Is it the perfect weight distribution these cars have? their lightweight? Oh it could be the 4 piston Brembo's on each corner of the car. Damn, I wish I had a real porsche! I know what it is! Its that he probably had his car purchased and built for less then your 3.8 build cost you.
BTW, your worried about some goof spinning into you at his track event? Ha! I think you should be more worried about driving 195mph on the 101. I have to share this freeway with you, my family does, and so do my freinds. I dont need some jerk off running em of the road at 195! If you can get around willow quicker then I can, I would be surprised. Enjoy the car, I hope you didn't pay too much.
~Eyal
Old 02-24-2005, 11:28 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

And PLEASE do not bring in 924, 944 or 928's into this board as well.
So, when I dyno more than you at the Rear wheels, can I then start posting on this board?
Old 02-26-2005, 04:02 AM
martyg
Advanced

Default No disrespect intended.

I have watched this car from the day it landed. When I had my 98S I really wanted this car. So now that I have it, well its really something special. Anyway, regarding the 996 and front engine cars. They have there special place, I just never really cared for a front engine sports car. Long hoods and the sort. Vipers and vettes are cool but... And H2O porsches, well just not my cup of tea. My Father-in-law has a 2001 Cab and it feels like a plush car and not a porsche. My opinion.

And as far as Tonyg's power. Alot of guys out there ripping people off. I felt I got what was paid for, thats all. Stock 993TT with more fuel and bigger tubos. Thats all great. But unless you go inside the motor, I feel you are only doing half the job. You have to admit, that when you have the engine oil gallies (Blueprinting) polished and niro ringed the p&c's then you are doing more for the motor. Right?

As far as the 195, hey I was not driving and it was, if I can remember around 1AM or later, so... Has not been done since so I can appreciate your concern as I have two young children as well. Now I do do the occassional 3rd gear to 4th.

But while I am posting, I have a question. Maybe Tonyg can help. How do you know when your valves need adjusting. Mine are no longer hydrolic. What do they sound like and can hard driving casue them to go out. No experience with this.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:32 AM
Curt911
Pro

don't see how Tony can bitch, is he even a paid member?

I think the post is great, would love more details on the build if you want to post them, or some pics of the car/project.

If your pleased with the result thats all that matters!

Quick Reply: 1996 993TT (550HP)