Advice requested on Carrera 3.2 Valve Job

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 10:39 PM
puffinandatticus
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice requested on Carrera 3.2 Valve Job

Hi -

I had started a thread on evaluating a purchase of a 1988 Carrera with 104K miles, and decided to repost as it has become certain this car needs a valve job to rectify worn valve guides. The owner is paying to have this fixed but there is of course discussion of what needs to be fixed.

I visited the shop where the work is being done today. I saw the heads with disassembled EXHAUST valves only and they show guide wear. One of the valves had enough wear that it was not seating cleanly which showed up as leakage on the PPI.

Question 1:
Without disassembling the INLET valves, mechanic expects that these will not have guide wear, and suggests simply removal, cleaning, and re-assembly. Is it just the EXHAUST valves on Carrera's that exhibit guide wear? Should the 6 inlets get new guides and valves even if they show no wear?

Question 2:
The mechanic brought up the subject of installing stronger cylinder/head studs. From what I've read here, stud failure seems more common on earlier SC's, not the Carreras. Is this true? This is the kind of thing the owner probably will not pay for, is it worth the $1000 (parts & labor) to have stronger studs installed for a run of the mill street car (no non-standard mods)? I think not but wanted to check.

3. What have people paid for replacement valves/guides on this kind of top end rebuild?

Many thanks, this forum is helping me get through what for a newcomer is a trying path, but in the end worth it.

regards,
David
Old 02-10-2005, 08:27 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

this was a couple years ago, paid for by PO, at the time he planed on keeping the car if that helps at all

Last edited by J. Brinkley; 09-17-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:23 AM
MJHanna
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question 1:
I don’t get why this shop does not want to pull the intake valves!!!!. IF it was me and I was going to keep this car I would have them all done at the same time Seats are $12-$16 each a big $48 more to NOT worry about them. On mine some were lose not bad just loseso we did them ALL. What's the labor to replace them? 45min@ $75?=202+48=$250 vs. 2-3K to re-pull it all back down…

Question 2:
stud failure seems more common on earlier SC's, not the Carreras. Is this true? YES
I would not spend the money to do this on a Carrera unless you have a broken stud.

Last edited by MJHanna; 02-10-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:27 AM
MJHanna
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you have to pull the engine down to this level. Your cost to "fix" all the seats is miniumal

Last edited by MJHanna; 11-14-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Why tempt fate? Do all the guides (I&E), and replace all the head studs. The cylinders should be measured with a bore gauge, and replacement piston rings should be considered. Resulting end cost is minimal once you start driving the car and amortizing the cost. If you do the studs also consider replacing the rod bearings through the case, just in case that engine oil has gotten real low a time or two.
Pete
Old 02-11-2005, 06:28 PM
M491
Racer

I agree. Taking everything apart, then only doing a valve job on the exhaust valves, is insane.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone even suggesting that.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:49 AM
DonMo
Advanced

Carrera's have painted divlar head studs on the bottom and steel on the top. They do break, agreed, not as much as SC's but they do. Cheap money now, do the valves and studs.

Quick Reply: Advice requested on Carrera 3.2 Valve Job