Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.0 versus 3.3 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 12:55 AM
Bill R
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3.0 versus 3.3 rebuild

I have been talking to my mechanic about a possible rebuild for my 82 911SC. It still seems to be going strong with over 160K miles, and I don't think the engine has ever been rebuilt. (A good friend is the previous owner - He had it for 60K miles, and never did a rebuild.) If I choose to rebuild, my mechanic says I should consider rebuilding my original 3.0 to a 3.3 and get some extra horses. Any thoughts on this? Would it ruin the car's value to go away from the original displacement just to get some more horses? (By the way, the prices quoted - 3.0 versus 3.3 - are comparable.) Also, is there any need to do a rebuild on a car as a preventative measure? Like I say, the car has over 160K miles - Not burning oil excessively, and stopwatch timing shows slightly over 6 seconds for 0-60. Thanks.
- Bill
Old 01-27-2003, 09:06 AM
Drew Theodore
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the car not running good? I do not think the SC engines need to be rebuilt as a preventive measure. The engines will last a lot longer than 160,000 miles if they are taken care of. I wouldn't rebuild unless it is broken.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:23 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

As long as the engine isn't smoking, making unusual noises, using excessive amounts of oil or noticeably down on power, I wouldn't rebuild it.

As to value, if the car was a 40k "garage queen", I could see the engine displacement change possibly having an effect on value. But your car has 160k miles - most people buying cars with that kind of mileage expect the engine to have been rebuilt and will view the bigger P&C's as a bonus.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:15 PM
kenrinc
Intermediate

My father's 80' SC has 250,000 on it and still running strong. Only problem is an oil leak from the cooler seals. He's wrestled with this problem for awhile "should I rebuild?". We've decided to drop the motor and fix the oil leakes and do some preventative maintenance. At that point we will decide.

Never heard of a rebuild to 3.3. 3.2 is the typical norm for these cars. Are they doing a specific mod? Using what piston and cylinder combo?

Ken-
Old 01-30-2003, 08:03 PM
Bill R
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback. I think I've decided to let the 3.0 ride until she dies. I'm leaning to a 3.0 rebuild if/when that day comes.
- Bill

Quick Reply: 3.0 versus 3.3 rebuild