MSD Ignition for 911 Carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 04:27 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD Ignition for 911 Carrera?

This may be a silly question, but has anyone done an MSD ignition box upgrade / does anyone know if this would benefit the 3.2L?

I ask, because it occurred to me that if the twin-plug setup is beneficial for added power, wouldn't a multi-spark igntion also be a bonus?

It's probably one of those right-in-front-of-your-nose / RTFM questions, but I didn't see anything in the 911 sections for N/A 911's. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:31 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just removed the MSD 6A and coil from a race car we built-we ended up doing the Electromotive Twin Plug ignition on the car. If you decide to go this route-I'll give you this one cheap.

I'll let the 911 experts answer your question as far as performance improvements-I think they are better for the old CIS cars, but I'm testing the limits of my memory (and knowledge) there.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:06 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Ben, I suspected the CIS cars would benefit more than the Motronic ones. We have a similar "discussion" in the SHO community, since we use a higher-end (for the day) distributorless ignition system. Some people swear by them, some swear at them.

Are you talking about the TEC-3 system? If so, let me know how you like it, I debated using one on my supercharged SHO track car last year.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I ask, because it occurred to me that if the twin-plug setup is beneficial for added power, wouldn't a multi-spark igntion also be a bonus?"

The MSD type systems have NO technical merit. It's basically a marketing gimmick
to differentiate the product from other capacitive discharge ignition systems.
The real benefit comes from a twin plug system as Porsche and others have used.
By the time the next MSD spark comes, the fuel charge has been fully ignited.

Bottomline: If the MSD system had any real merit, Porsche and others would buy/use
the technology in a nanosecond. It's a very simple design to implement and would not
add much overall cost to an ignition system. Therefore, its non-OEM use is further
indicative of ZERO merit.

Last edited by Lorenfb; 02-07-2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Fred:

MSD's are fine ignitions and are best suited for cars with imperfect fuel/air mixtures such as carbureted and MFI-equipped ones.

A stock Motronic engine does not gain anything with an MSD as long as the A/F ratio is within spec; the ECU does a fine job here.

Twin-ignition is required for compression ratios at or above 9.7:1 and one uses a Motronic splitter box, 2 stock coils, and a 3.6 distributor to do this. Custom software is also required due to the necessary changes in the ignition advance maps.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:30 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, much appreciated on all the info.

Given the A/F below, would further custom tweaking (read: new chip) to lean it out a smudge above 4500rpms do much for this engine, or is it preferred to be more rich on the 911's?

Old 02-08-2005, 12:26 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Fred:

You can do a LOT better in the chip department than Weltmeister.

That A/F is too rich from 4800 to 5700, but that not the whole story as these tests are all done at WOT.

A better chip will provide much improved results and whats most important; drivability.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Twin-ignition is required for compression ratios at or above 9.7:1 and one uses a Motronic splitter box, 2 stock coils, and a 3.6 distributor to do this. Custom software is also required due to the necessary changes in the ignition advance maps.
So based on this would you NOT recommend an MSD ignition unit for an 82 Euro SC?
Old 03-15-2008, 04:54 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Chris M.
So based on this would you NOT recommend an MSD ignition unit for an 82 Euro SC?
The benefits of the MSD would be very modest on your SC unless you opened the plug gaps to .040.

I like the performance and drivability of MSD on carbureted and MFI'ed cars since they operate with less-than-perfect AFR's.

That said, if your Bosch CD ever fails, I would consider installing an MSD as a more viable replacement.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

The benefits of the MSD would be very modest on your SC unless you opened the plug gaps to .040.

I like the performance and drivability of MSD on carbureted and MFI'ed cars since they operate with less-than-perfect AFR's.

That said, if your Bosch CD ever fails, I would consider installing an MSD as a more viable replacement.
I'm not looking for any kind of performance gain (in fact I'm hoping the MSD is legal for stock class racing) but as I'm troubleshooting a starting issue (along with a bouncing tach) it looks like my Bosch unit may on the outs. The MSD seems like a good replacement and is certainly cheaper than a rebuilt Bosch. First step is to install a friend's healthy Bosch and see if it works in my car.
What's your take on the MSD vs. stock coil while using the MSD box?
Old 03-15-2008, 06:13 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Chris M.
I'm not looking for any kind of performance gain (in fact I'm hoping the MSD is legal for stock class racing) but as I'm troubleshooting a starting issue (along with a bouncing tach) it looks like my Bosch unit may on the outs. The MSD seems like a good replacement and is certainly cheaper than a rebuilt Bosch. First step is to install a friend's healthy Bosch and see if it works in my car.
What's your take on the MSD vs. stock coil while using the MSD box?
You can use the stock coil, but I prefer the High-Vibration MSD ones. Simply remove the gross MSD sticker and it looks OEM.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

You can use the stock coil, but I prefer the High-Vibration MSD ones. Simply remove the gross MSD sticker and it looks OEM.
Also, will I need a tach adapter?
Old 03-15-2008, 10:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by HY M8NC
I just removed the MSD 6A and coil from a race car we built-we ended up doing the Electromotive Twin Plug ignition on the car. If you decide to go this route-I'll give you this one cheap.

I'll let the 911 experts answer your question as far as performance improvements-I think they are better for the old CIS cars, but I'm testing the limits of my memory (and knowledge) there.
hey .. who ya callin old ?
Old 03-16-2008, 05:02 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

an '82 should not need a tach adapter

the msd can be altered to look silvery if you don't like the orangey red color

OTOH, the Bosch just plugs right in...

BTW - twin plugs ignite a much larger flame front - on a 911 the plug is way off to the side of the combustion chamber (unlike a modern water cooled 4 valve design with the plug dead center) - that's the adv. of twin plugging and one adv. of water cooling

Quick Reply: MSD Ignition for 911 Carrera?