Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

window motors

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 01:35 PM
si Banker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window motors

My 87 911 coupe has very low milage but the windows have been getting stuck. Is there any type of lube I should be putting in the window tracks or do the motors need to be replaced or is it the switch. It does not happen all the time. The window "unsticks" its self in a few seconds but I am afraid some day it will not.

Any suggestions
Old 01-06-2005, 07:04 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tracks are not usually a problem unless the glass is not totally secured within the tracking. With very low mileage cars the electrics are often a problem as a film builds up on the contacts (brake pedal switch is another typical problem area). Personal view is that the intermittent stop/start indicates this is the problem. Work them more frequently.

I have a '76 911 that is laid up for 6 months of the year but every month all the switches are operated as are the brakes, gearbox and heater system to ensure current flows through the circuits and the mechanical parts 'do their thing' - even doing this I still get the odd switch problem that requires attention - clean contacts etc.

PJC
Old 01-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Banker: I assume that once the windows becomes "free" they track normally. If yes, the frame tracks should be OK. Your car wash history - do you wash the car and then put it in the garage for a period of time, or do you always drive it a couple of miles after drying it? It's possible that your window regulators have rusted, which requires door panel removal to inspect. Before you do that open your trunk, remove the fuse box cover and find the fuse that is closest to the car's dashboard. It should be blue (25 amp), remove it and inspect it for corrosion. If it's dirty replace it and gently clean its two mounting tabs with a scotchbrite pad. When you install the new fuse be sure that it has a snug fit, also, check the upper and lower screws that hold the wires. Those screws should be snug, use a proper fitting screwdriver and don't get muscular with them - just snug. Hope this solves the problem...
Pete

Quick Reply: window motors