Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

novice owner - 911T SC

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 08:27 PM
Mark Eide
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post novice owner - 911T SC

New owner of a beautiful '78 911T SC, silver with black top and leather interior. Worried about oil pressure. Salespeople said the level guage doesn't work and pressure ok. After warming up the idle pressure drops to below 1, the level guage comes up (rattles around, always in the red when running in gear). The idiot light, which I need desparetly, (this was a surprise purchase for me by my wonderful wife on anniversary), never comes on except when key turned to on with engine not running.

Do I have a potential problem? Oil by stick (when running and hot) is good.

Mark
Old 04-09-2003, 08:54 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mark,

Welsome to the joys of Porsche.

The car should read almost no pressure at idle and 10 psi per 1000 rpms. The level guage may or may not work. The dipstick should be correct. Please remeber you have over 10 quarts of oil in there. If you check your oil level, ALWAYS do so with the engine running (at idle), on level ground, and at FULL Operating temperature. IF you read it without making sure you have done all of these things, you will get a low reading and add too much oil. You will then have the "FUN" of cleaning up a huge mess.

If you are unsure how to proceed, you can do several things:
1-Jion your local Porsche Club of America chapter. They are a great bunch of folks and they will be very happy to help. <a href="http://pnwr.pca.org/default.asp" target="_blank">http://pnwr.pca.org/default.asp</a>

2-Since you live in the Seattle Area, there are a few independent porsche mechanics in the area. Check the PCA site for recommended names. Go there and have him show you. Depending on how handy you are, you may want a relationship with a good garage. While you are there, have him look over your car and make sure everything else is ok. (I assume you did not have a PPI done prior to purchase).

3-This is a great BBS for getting help. Pelican parts also runs a board and they are a slightly different crowd (lots of overlap with these folks)and you may want to browse there as well.

Most important, have fun.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:27 PM
RANDY P
Racer

For the quick and simple, try cleaning the connection at the Oil pressure sender first, on the passenger side of the fan, unplug the spade and clean the connection - when the connection's bad you'll get weird readings at idle and it'll wig out like what yours is doing. Assuming no funky noises it doesn't sound like you have oiling problems - these are tough cars.

Great mechanic - John Walker's workshop Greenlake area, Seattle. (206)789-6800. website under same name. Go to Pelicanparts.com under the 911 forum and see the great responses. Look around for his posts, he's always there helping others - he has a loyal following. (Don't just take my word for his knowledge and wonderful attitude.) Straight shooter and doesn't play games, and pricing is almost too reasonable. These cars are too expensive to foul up using just any old "McMechanic". Mine goes nowhere else.

References? Here's the latest "thank you John" thread. <a href="http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104948" target="_blank">http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104948</a>

No I don't work there, just a satisfied customer.

Post some pics of your new ride too!

rjp
Old 04-10-2003, 01:02 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Randy,

If I am not mistaken, the oil pressure lamp has a separate switch from the pressure transmitter. I do not know where it is since, my 1973, only has a pressure guage. Perhaps someone who is more familiar with this year cn help locate both tramsmitters.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:11 AM
Mark Eide
3rd Gear

Thanks to all - it is a heck of a lot of fun!

Mark
Old 04-10-2003, 02:35 AM
RANDY P
Racer

By description, the oil pressure lamp in this SC seems to work ok. Turn the key to run but don't start the pressure lamp should illuminate. Start the car, oil pressure builds and it shuts off. Point of reference - my car shuts off the pressure light instantly dead cold or otherwise (over 150K on motor, untouched) So quick you'd think it's tied to the alt. light or something.

With that in mind, the other issue is that the oil pressure gauge reads, but sporadically. The sender right of the fan is in control of the oil pressure gauge, it's known for getting corroded and playing havoc with the pressure readings. cleaning it should take care of it....

cheers,

rjp
Old 04-10-2003, 03:42 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Mark,

Is the pressure gauge or level gauge flakey? For my car, the level gauge shows level (no bouncing or other problem) only when the car is hot and idling. Any other time, the indicator is either on the lower peg or bouncing a bit.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Feeding a 911 for a while
Intermediate

Hi

I have a '78SC and mine behaves in a similar way. When the car is fully warmed up I have virtually no pressure reading at idle (850 rpm) and about 3.5 bar at 4000 rpm. My car has been like this ever since I purchased it in April 2000. If the low reading was down to a worn bearing or a pump problem I am sure that I would have experienced major problems by now. My car runs on Mobil1 and gets used fairly hard.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:55 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No smoke out the back, oil pressure of 50 psi at approx 4000 rpm - your engines sounds great. Beat it up on the revs and enjoy.

PJC
Old 04-10-2003, 11:15 AM
Mark Eide
3rd Gear

Wow, where to start? Yes, my level gauge works exactly that way, pegged or almost pegged at the bottom in the red except when warmed up and stopped at a light idling. Then it will read in the middle but sometimes jumps around wildly fo no apparent reason (will check the sending plug).

My pressure readings are identical.

Only smoke I've seen was at starting after sitting for 4 or 5 days, then very brief.

Mark
Old 04-10-2003, 01:23 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Mark Eide:
<strong>Wow, where to start? Yes, my level gauge works exactly that way, pegged or almost pegged at the bottom in the red except when warmed up and stopped at a light idling. Then it will read in the middle but sometimes jumps around wildly fo no apparent reason (will check the sending plug).

My pressure readings are identical.

Only smoke I've seen was at starting after sitting for 4 or 5 days, then very brief.

Mark</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Hi Mark,

If both gauges are "jumpy", check all of the wiring including grounds. Sounds like you may have a loose coonection. If you do not already, get a book that has a wiring diagram to identify wires that are common to both circuits. These are the most likely suspects.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:16 AM
Rob McKibbon
AutoX

They don't come any better than John Walker that's for sure!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2003, 02:31 AM
cmoss

And the puff of smoke on start up is normal for a flat 6 engine.

Quick Reply: novice owner - 911T SC