Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911SC Hot Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 09:32 PM
82911SC
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911SC Hot Start Problem

I have an 82 SC that has had a recurring problem ever since i bought it. After I've been driving it for several hours until the engine gets hot, I'll park it and then if I try to start it again it won't even turn over. It feels like a dead battery but it is not. There is absolutely no power going to the starter motor. Tried numerous things including a booster starter and a new voltage regulator but it is still doing it. Any ideas?
--Thanks
Alex Swain
Old 12-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Russ L.
Advanced

Alex; I need a bit more info. to go at this properly : Did you try any of the other elec. items in the car to see if they work: heater fans, head lights ..ect. If they work turn the key to "start"...did the lights dim out ? If they stayed on strong...look into how the starter is grounded &/or the block itself. Once wires get hot they cannot hold the same amperage as when they wre cool. old battery connections and cables are notorious for this kind of thing...If everything dies out ...look closer to the battery and the main fuse block for loose/ corroded wires hope htis helps.
Russ
Old 12-14-2004, 01:06 AM
82911SC
Track Day

Actually not only do the lights dim upon ignition, they also dim out when the car is at idle and the more i rev, the stronger they become. I haven't really noticed anything with the heater fan. I have also noticed that when the car gets hot it tends to idle a bit higher. Don't know if that's related or not.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:22 AM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

I'll say STARTER !
My 83SC had same problem.... it was the starter.
Good luck with it.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:17 PM
mdbickell
Instructor

I've never had a problem w/ this but my mechanic tells me to expect it. He advises that I always park heading down hill when the motor has been run for a while. He says due to the location of the starter its gets hot and won't work until it cools down.

As I said, I've never had this problem, but I've been told that this happens.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Alex: Very common problem on your model. You need a replacement starter, Bosch # SR 68X. I've replaced hundreds of them, unfortunately Bosch does a lousy rebuild of their own parts and I've had to warranty a large number also - almost all for hot re-start problems. You have the alternative of purchasing a light-weight, hi-torque new starter from various wholesale/retail parts houses. See the other thread that asks about "aftermarket 911 starters..."
Pete
Old 12-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the local shop rebuild the starter and replace the solenoid four years ago. $75. I preferred this solution - your problem occurred for two of us at the Glen that weekend. Their approach to the problem was worth two new MPSCs. Easy to test though. Definitely not rocket science, an easy, but dirty job.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:18 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Get a new ground strap and a high torque starter (in that order )

Been there suffered that

Quick Reply: 911SC Hot Start Problem