Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ball Joint Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 02:21 PM
bungler SC
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ball Joint Removal

I'm about to tangle with the ball joints on my '80 SC. Any advice or cautions before I get started? I've been soaking them with penetrating oil for several days & have the special socket & a large breaker bar.

Based on the torque specs & castellated nut, I am open to any tips from anybody who's been thru this endeavor.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:26 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you may damage the special tool.. some guys cut the nut off, or use a pipe wrench.. maybe some heat.. i would stop before damaging an expensive tool............Ron
Old 01-22-2003, 02:52 PM
KLehmann
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ron's right. The special tool is usually used for installation. Where the tool gets wrecked is when you use it with an impact wrench (like me).

Since you're using the breaker bar method, you'll want to put a hyd. jack under the tool to hold it against the nut. Get a nice, long length of pipe to slip over the bar and bust that sucker off there.

If that doesn't work you can use a big big pipe wrench and a 4 lb. sledge. If that doesn't work, cut of the nut with a dremel tool and reinforced cutoff wheel.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:56 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Hi Bungler - I just did this on my 86 930. Assuming these are similar, I was able to get one of the nuts off pretty easily with a breaker bar. What I did was place my floor jack under the socket and then raised it to get it snug against the nut. This allowed me to focus on pushing on the bar without worrying about holding it up against the nut.

For the other side, a friend lent me a cheap impact gun ($25 from Harbor Freight) and I was easily able to get the nut off with that after a few shots.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:33 PM
slomarsh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ditto on the impact wrench. I tried the breaker bar and as much grunt as I could muster-they wouldn't budge. The impact zipped them right off.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:30 PM
an6drew
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was unable to get the threaded retaining pin at the top of one ball joint off. The other came out just fine w/ hammer & punch, but on the left side it just wouldn't budge. Didn't feel like drilling the thing out, so I ended up going to a shop where i think they pressed it out. You're supposed to replace these retaing pins each time you replace the ball joints- they get a bit deformed.

good luck,
Andrew
Old 01-23-2003, 02:28 PM
bungler SC
8th Gear

Thanks to all. I've just laid in a s-load of cutoff wheels for the Dremel, just in case.

Really can't wait to start this one... sounds like a real treat.

Quick Reply: Ball Joint Removal