Paranoid about oil level and oil getting sucked into the air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003 | 01:44 PM
dixson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Paranoid about oil level and oil getting sucked into the air intake

I know this is a worn out topic but I recently made the mistake checking the oil level before the engine was up to operating temperature. I ended up adding 1 quart and soon realized that now the oil level was just up to the high mark on the stick. I was out of town and drove it back home with this oil level. After reading several Rennlist threads about oil level, they say if the level is above the half way point that you have added too much and it’s possible for oil to get sucked into the air intake. Is this the only danger of adding too much oil? Besides looking into the intake how will you know if you ended up sucking oil into the intake? I have an autothority air intake with a hose going into the end of the filter. Is this where the excess oil will get sucked into? Will it cause damage? I know I am being paranoid but let me know what you think.

Thanks for any and all help,

Rob

87 Carrera
Old 01-22-2003 | 02:37 PM
lostinatl
Instructor

The trick I read somewhere is to never add a full quart. If I see it is low I do half (or less), save it, then check it later that day or at the next fill-up. Not sure where the overflow oil will come out? But from my experience it will come out and end up on the garage floor. Wish I could help more.
Old 01-22-2003 | 02:47 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are at the full mark on the dipstick when the car is fully warmed up (say, 30 min + driving) and on level ground, then you are ok. If you are a quarter quart above that, you are likely ok. Don't depend upon the instrument panel level indicator - only use the dipstick to manage feelings of paranoia. If there is no sign of suckage into the intake, & you are still paranoid, & you don't want to drain a half quart (or whatever), then go for a long trip (a tank or two) on the interstate to let "nature" take its course. Relax & Enjoy!
Old 01-23-2003 | 02:04 AM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Only put one quart in when the oil level is at the lower mark - no sooner than that or later, engine fully warmed up, idling and on level ground. In effect, the engine is always a quart low (dipstick registers almost 2 qts between high and low)- only way I know of to get an accurate oil consumption figure.

rjp
Old 01-23-2003 | 09:59 AM
madvex
Intermediate

To check the oil level the car should be well warmed up, 180 degrees before you can get an accurate idea of your "true" level. As Kevin points out, never go by the guage - the dipstick is your only true indicator and even that is not correct if the oil isn't nice and hot.

In my experience, the oil will come right out the top of the filler and end up all over your engine. You'll know right away when you become the spy hunter car full on with the smoke screen!

If this hasn't happened while driving (and she's hot) then you should be fine.
Old 01-23-2003 | 11:21 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 155 Posts
I always check my oil using the dipstick. The funny thing is my oil level gauge is actually pretty accurate.
Old 01-23-2003 | 01:28 PM
RandalJ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dixson, I have the same Autothority set-up, with a cone filter. I have seen big puffs of white smoke when pulling up to stops, and I am experimenting to see whether it is oil level related, and whether this set-up is more susceptible to gulping oil through the intake than the stock air intake with the flap.

I have had the car since September, and up to now I have kept the oil topped to about half way between the min and max level on the dipstick, engine warm, but lately have let it drop to a bit below the min mark (or AT the min mark when engine is hotter), and the smoking has gone away. If I am right about this, my ideal oil level would be right about at the min mark with engine hot, since the smoking was really bad on Saturday, but went away after Sunday.

In the past, the smoke has gone away on its own, but come back, and I realize now that it may have correlated with my topping off the oil or changing the oil, where I'd be about 1/3rd between the marks (closer to the min), engine warm (not hot).

I do have a worn exhuast valve guide and seat, which were my first suspician as far as the smoke goes (this was discussed here on another thread), be the intermittant nature of the smoke made me look for something else as the cause.

I have not taken the air filter off to look down the throat of the Autothority MAF for evidence of oil, but will this weekend.

Maybe the Autothority/Cone set-up has stronger suction on that breather pipe?

Quick Reply: Paranoid about oil level and oil getting sucked into the air intake