Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1974 911... Engine Q

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 10:09 PM
SharkSkin
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1974 911... Engine Q

A friend at work just picked up a 74 911... non running. A compression check shows one cylinder 20% low... leakdown test is next. The pulley on the fan had loosened at one point, and the hub of the fan has a big groove worn in it from the pulley, so the guy's dad wants to shim the new pulley out so it rides on the remaining flat.

Anyway, the car looks pretty complete, if a bit rough. It's had many layers of paint, and all of the body panels look straight. The interior needs a bit of work, but all in all it looks recoverable.

Now, about the engine.... this could be anything from a sticky valve due to sitting to... well, to just about anything. The motor turns smooth so there is some hope for it. The oil cooler seems blown, so they will be bypassing it for testing. The idea seems to be get it running, and see what the compression test shows when hot.

Now, please understand, I really have no say in how the mechanical stuff is being approached. Not my gig. But I'm just curious... what's a decent used(running) motor for one of these beasties go for? Heads? Valve job? Any special tools required for disassembly/assembly? Any major "gotchas" involved other than the usual that one might encounter doing an engine project on any other car?
Old 11-06-2004, 07:21 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,

Sounds like your friend has a long haul ahead but it's great that there are people out there prepared to salvage a mis-treated Porsche.

My response to your question would be to invest in the Wayne Dempsey books - "how to Rebuild & Midify Porsche 911 Engines" and the "101 projects". I think you will find what you need between the two - gives a guide to prices, tools, skill level required etc.

PJC
Old 11-06-2004, 12:29 PM
SharkSkin
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the input.... I was really just looking for some BTDT, though I will pass on the info on the books. I've just spent the better part of this year's free time salvaging a mis-treated Porsche, though I think I had a better starting point. If my motor dropped it guts tomorrow, I could get a decent running replacement for less than $1K. I'm looking for a ballpark... would a replacement 6 be more likely to run $2K, $5K, not even warm yet?
Old 11-07-2004, 06:21 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2k is low and might not last long. 5 K is high for that engine. The best advce to give your friend is 'there is no cheap way, only the right (expensive) way with a Porsche'. P-cars give new meaning to "Pay me now--Pay me later."

Wish them all the best in saving the ol' girl.

Used engines: Parts Heaven--ask for Jeff
New parts: EBS (Engine Builders Supply)

Quick Reply: 1974 911... Engine Q