Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Decision help on purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 12:00 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know... I give my advice for free, becasuse I understand its value.... but that seems just a bit pricey for a 220K car. Despite the legendary rep for longevity of these cars, you can get a 120K mile car for the same money.... its not just the motor.. mileage wears suspension, drive train (halfshafts), brakes.... top-end rebuild is about $4K by the time you are done.... iId mentally budget about $4-5K in immediate repairs, and maybe you will be lucky, and not have to spend it right away... so is that particular car worth $18-20K to you?
Old 11-03-2004, 01:16 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree with the high mileage issue unless the suspension and motor were recently overhauled.

Here is an 82 SC coupe I spotted with 160,000 miles asking 13.5K.
Paint has some chips up frint and the door has a very small crease (Garage hit)

Here is the sellers reply:

The engine was rebuilt using carrara pistons and cylinders. The trans was
rebuilt and a new clutch was put in at the same time. I have receipts for
all. The suspension was rebuilt, new heater blower motor, new air
conditioning blower motor as well.
The tires and brakes have about 3000 miles on them.
The carpet is all new. It's an excellent running car - I have had it for
about 2 years.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:03 PM
pgsandiego
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait. Take your time! We're coming into the slow season (winter) where these cars sell slower/cheaper than in the summer. You should be able to find a good car at a good price in the coming months. Find one with good up-to-date maint records and someone who has owned it for a few years. Your car is out there, it just takes time to find her. Searching is part of the fun! (OK, driving it is MORE fun...). Find one near you so you can actually see her before spending $ on the PPI (which you ARE going to do, right?).

Patrick
Old 11-04-2004, 03:13 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I do not plan on purchasing without a PPI.

I have to admit, the hunt is a thrilling part. Once I spot one, another pops up around the corner but since it is the slow season I don't have to worry about grabbing it before it's gone.

It's kind of interesting since prices are all over the place. I probably would end up with a local purchase within a few hundred miles so that I can look it over and drive it and then have the PPI done if I like the car.

Thanks !
Old 11-04-2004, 03:42 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely, as others have suggested, take your time! I don't know how long you've been looking, but the journey is indeed part of the prize. Although I knew I wanted a G50 (87-89), I wasn't dead set on the specifics, and figured that I would just KNOW it when the right one came along, and I did ! I searched numerous websites, etc. daily for six months before finding mine 500 miles away. (Jeremy964 has posted a comprehensive list of sites either here or on Pelican, that you might want to check out.) If you're not already on Pelican too, imo, you should be, as there seems to be more activity for the air cooled models over there. Once you think you've located one, if it's very far away, you can very likely get someone knowledgable from Rennlist or Pelican (who's local to the car) to check it out first before expending your time and $.
Good luck on your search, and be patient...it's worth waiting for the 'right' one!

Keith Craver
'88 CE coupe

ps: I assume from your name, you're in NC...where?

Quick Reply: Decision help on purchase