Help, G50 update

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 02:34 AM
youngatheart
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help, G50 update

Hi everyone,

Got really excited when my Bentley manual finally arrived. I was inspired by many DIY on this site and hope to learn how to replace the clutch on my 87' 911 carrera. I have been researching and find most things doable and finally step up to the plate.
There is quite a bit of details in each section of the manual but of course not the section that I need. My goal is actually to install a spring center clutch to replace my rubber center clutch.

1. The manual states that the Clutch Cross-shaft, bearing update required for Standard differential up to 950/01 1K 03381 and Limited-slip differentials up to 950/01 2K 01159. How do I find out which type is mine and what are the numbers referring to?
2. What freaks me out is the part about needing to drill into the cross-shaft bores in transmission case to accept new bearings.
3. It also mentions using a Special cutter kit #9292 (Porsche ordering #000 721 929 20) What does this tool look like. I can't find it in any site or on PET. Does anyone has a picture or a link to a picture? Same goes for 9292-3 guide pin and 9292-2, what does it look like? The Bentley has every picture of each part and of course except the parts that I need to see?
4. It talks about cutting the inner bearing bore and stop when cutter reaches bottom (increased resistance is noticed)?
5. "Install clutch fork on release earing and hold in place with adhesive tape and then assemble transmission and engine." What, can you get more vague that this? I am totally misinterpreting this at all?

Anyone that has done this clutch cross-shat, bearing update (hydraulic operated clutch) and would like to share some insight on this is greatly appreciated.
I couldn't find any of the above info on both rennlist and Pelican sites.
I was looking forward to this project and hopefully I wouldn't have to give this up.

youngatheart
Old 11-04-2004, 12:26 PM
tyler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the tool is NLA, sorry you won't find it

it looks like a miniature tunnel borer or a woodworking hole bit...two part thing, a bit and guide that chucks into your drill and holds the bit in line for your second cut at the bottom

may be able to steal it, rent it or borrow it from a dealer...i would take your tranny to a dealer and have them drill it though....pretty risky though if they botch the bit up, they might not find another one..I wouldn't want to drill my own tranny for the 1st time with someone elses bit assembly.

use lots of cutting oil and keep pressure on the bit if you find one...if it spins up too fast and makes contact the teeth on the bit will snap in the guide rendering your bit useless and your $700 bucks if you are lucky enough to find one forsale

i think performance parts has an update kit that isn't the preffered factory way, but the factory is being an *** about this...given that so few years of G-50 need this fix, they are treating you like the 968 owners and basically giving you the shaft by not producing the tool....if I were in your situation, I would just buy the update kit from performance and call it a day
Old 11-04-2004, 04:08 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Wasn't there an "upgraded" upgrade to this part? I had mine replaced and I'm pretty sure there was no drilling involved.

Quick Reply: Help, G50 update