Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Transmission drain plug deposits

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 09:34 PM
eldiosyeldiablo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission drain plug deposits

How much metal shaving is normal? Here is a picture of my tranny drain plug from my first transmission flush.

I have all of the receipts from the previous owners and I could not find any mention of a transmission fluid change.

The fluid coming out was very dark and smelly. The level in the tranny was also low as I could not feel any with my finger.

I've attached a small picture here but you can see the large picture here...
http://www.my914.net/Porsche/my911/t...yDrainPlug.jpg
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2004, 09:42 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Clean the plug. Put in new fluid -- drive 1k to 3k miles and change again. Use top quality trans oil.

You don't say it is noisy, shifts bad or runs bad in gear.... So prob.l just dirty and nasty from neglect.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:03 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

my crankcase plug looked worse than that in my 3.2 when the bearing let go (I think the guy drove it knocking further than he said he did!)
Old 10-31-2004, 10:08 PM
mschafer71
Instructor

My '88 G-50 tranny oil was changed I believe for the first time at 74,000 miles and looked very similar. I ran some Valvoline Synblend for about another 1000 miles, changed again and had about 25% of the metal bits on the first change. Now it has Mobil 1 full synthetic and shifts very smooth after about 5 minutes or 5 miles of warming up. That lovely smell is characteristic of the gear oils. Make sure you are at operating temps. when you drain and do it right away to get as much of the metal out/while it's in suspension.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:22 PM
eldiosyeldiablo
Advanced

Sorry I should have put in more detail. Before draining it I drove the car on around to run errands so it was up to the proper running temperatures before I started to jack it up and start.

I put the Swepco fluid in. I did notice that the 101 projects book recommended a syntectic fluid for the G50's but I had already purchased the Swepco so I used that.

The only issue with the tranny previously was that it sometimes didn't want to go from second to third but it felt like a bushing and not a syncro ring problem. I am going to replace the bushings when I order some more parts in Nov.

The car now has 83,000 miles on it.

When I drove it today it felt better than it did before. It feels .... smoother.

Thx,
David
Old 10-31-2004, 10:45 PM
mschafer71
Instructor

I thought you might be interested in reading this web page:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...eferrerid=7638

The shift rod bushing and cup replacement fix is really cheap and pretty straightforward. After trans oil change, clutch master clylinder replacement and bushing projects the car shifted like showroom.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:47 PM
eldiosyeldiablo
Advanced

mschafer71, you suggest that I run Mobil 1 synthetic tranny fluid in my car after about a 1,000 miles?

What are the opinions on Redline MT90? I have a friend that used that on his lotus and he says that it greatly improved his shifting and got rid of some grinding noise.

Thx,
David
Old 11-02-2004, 12:02 AM
mschafer71
Instructor

I was looking for Swepco here on Maui but not available anywhere. Redline and Mobil 1 I could get here but i wanted to try a fully synthetic because several articles and experts stated the G-50's synchros work best with a full synthetic tranny oil. I think a second change would remove a bit more of those chips, if you do it again take another pics for comparison. The second change i did I also let it drain for 1+ hours, which lets more of the old oil work its way out.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:39 PM
glenncof
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 1985 911 with 155K which was purchased from Porche with 17K miles on it.

It has had a history of tranny problems. My shop has been using Redline synth 75W90 (NS or not?, non-slip) since 63K.

I was working on other relub projects and did lots (lots!!) of study.

Swepco 201 (mineral) 80W90 appears to be strongly preferred for 915 version transmission.

Also I read it is recommended (unless spec'd by mfg. such as a Corvett) to do break-in on engines and differentials with mineral oil and switch to a synth after break in. I assume same for tranny and transfer cases.

It appears the synth's are too slippery for the synchro's. Redline recommends the NS version for that reason.

The current fluid has 30K miles on it and I will swap to Swepco next week. As always do your homework even if someone else is doing the work. I'm now wondering if the last $4500 rebuild was a result of the synth.

Quick Reply: Transmission drain plug deposits